What's new

Stryke Audio SAT HE 15 inch driver (1 Viewer)

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Hey Thomas,

The question is about the HE15...not the AV15. And while they HE15 does have a number of threads they don't seem to tell a whole lot of information.

But could someone point me in the direction of definitions for all the X___ terms...like Xsus, Xmech, etc...

I have a feeling the 3.5" p-p is one of these while the Xmax would be the 22.8mm figure (45.6 p-p).

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Oops my bad....
Here's a T/S link, I lost my link to the really good one
http://www.electronixwarehouse.com/e...heil-small.htm
Well I have a pair of the first generation HE-15's. The Xmax is easily 22.8mm probably more. Don't really care about the P-P since it's only for 'bragging rights'
The drivers are very good. They need CUBIC power to light them up. And a parametric EQ is mandatory given the high VC inductance.
My HE-15 ported box design

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Well, between the Loudspeaker Design Cookbook, the Great Sound Stereo Speaker Manual, and Advanced Speaker Systems I've got plenty of resources to find definitions to most terms. It's the additional "X" terms that I can't find. I'm sure they are around...I'll google for them tomorrow.

Also, I think Styke is supposed to be coming out with (or maybe already has) a new version of the HE15 called the UE15 (or something like it). It is rumored to have more throw as well as getting rid of that inductance hump.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Dan
Found it. Here's the best T/S link I know. It's not as complete as some of the texts though...
Link Removed
Also from the DIYsubwoofer.org site
Xmag = [DUMAX] Excursion limit due to the magnetic limitations of the driver's motor. Xmag is defined as the displacement at which the BL product has fallen to 70% of its value at the cone's rest position.
Xsus = [DUMAX] Excursion limit due to the driver's suspension. Xsus is defined as the point at which the compliance of the suspension has decreased to 25% of the value at the cone's rest position.
Xmax = Linear (one-way) travel of the cone. Xmax is used to determine the maximum linear SPL capability of the driver, and can be defined in a number of ways. The DUMAX definition is objectively the best one, and it is defined as the shorter of the Xmag and Xsus values, in each direction of cone travel. This definition is more useful than the older definition of Xmax, which was solely dependent on the length of the voice-coil vs. the length of the gap.
Jonathan
Most of the HE-15 discussions on this forum were 18+ months ago. So those threads aren't available from a search. I did locate this link.
BTW, frequently P-P isn't the Xmax doubled. Some use Xsus, some use Xmag to create P-P

Jeff Rosz

Second Unit
Jonathan,
most of the discussions (as memory serves :rolleyes:) were about using passive radiators in the design. but as you can see in the picture thomas provided, ported is doable. stryke's website has all the plans for various designs for free and afaik precut kits are there too. basically the designs are using 3 of their 15" PR's massed with ~2kgs each or two 18" PR's per HE15.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks