Stryke Audio Name Change (merged)

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by John E Janowitz, Oct 29, 2003.

1. John E Janowitz

John E Janowitz Second Unit

I appologize if this is off topic, and if it needs to be removed, I understand. Stryke Audio will soon be changing names. I am posting to the DIY section because it is where most people know of Stryke Audio. We are running a contest to come up with a new name and logo for the business. The official thread is here on our forum.

http://www.stryke.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=427

Thank you for your help. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

John

2. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

I just thought I would pass this along since many of the
    DIY'rs here have Stryke Audio Products or use John's Forums.

I guess John is changing the name of the buisness. I will
    let him elaborate on what extactly is changing but I thought
    it would be a good idea to let everyone know in case they
    can't get a hold of him in the future. I am not sure if his
    email address is changing or not.

Hopefuly John will see this thread and post the pertinant
    info.

3. Jeff Braddock

Jeff Braddock Second Unit

I think he had a thread started here (at the HTF) sometime earlier today about it. I thought it was on this forum, but I may be wrong.

4. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

I wish they weren't just changing the name to "Custom Audio Solutions". It just sounds so generic, consdering the type of unique company it is and the distinctive products it sells. I know they can't stick with Stryke, but I just felt a little disappointed...

I wrote John an email suggesting the name "Aphelion Audio", with the term "Aphelion" meaning the part of the earth's orbit that is the farthest from the sun. I even wasted an afternoon working up a concept for a graphic design that would go well with the name "Aphelion". It turned out very nicely. If John will permit (I don't want to hose any copyright laws) I would post a screenshot of it on here, just to show my idea. Of course, if it is John's wish, I will also delete all the graphics and HTML files I created for the concept design, if I am violating copyright laws.

Of course the final decision on the name to select is always sompletely up to John. It is not my company, and I wonder if I wasn't stepping out of my place by making such a suggestion.

I wonder if my emails are even getting through, because I wrote another one inquiring about details of the Stryke 10" passive radiators.

5. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Rory,

I guess John is just trying to cover his back.. Fosgate
    Audio is the reason he has to change in the first place (if
    I am correct) it's sad when big conglomerations come along
    and threaten the little guy who has a legit buisness just
    because thier names sound "similar" bearing in mind that
    John had the name long before RF came up with the "Strike"
    division.. But they have the legal muscle so they will win
    no matter what..

I know I won't ever buy another piece of Trash from any
    Fosgate owned entity again.. I will vote with my dollars.

6. Rory Buszka

I know, I just didn't know the curcumstances surrounding that. Man, that sucks. The biggest shame is that Stryke makes products that are multiple heads and shoulders above anything Rockford Fosgate has. (that IS who we're talking about, right?) There is no justice in this country when something like that can just happen. It's like Microsoft busting into a little software shop and saying "Ok, we're going to sell a program like the one you're making so you can't make it anymore."

7. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

Go to court and depends your principles instead of rolling over. [​IMG]

8. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Seth,

I assume you're willing to pay John's legal fees? I sure as hell can't afford to do it. I don't imagine any of us can. That's why Rockford won't drop the suit. They've got deep pockets.

The only way going to court would benefit John is if he could find a young, hotshot lawyer wanting to make a name for himself. If he could countersue Rockford to pay the legal fees plus damages and he won the lawyer would immediately earn some serious money and credibility all at once.

9. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

10. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

11. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Well, I sure wouldn't have time to fool with something like that. Not if I wanted to continue running my business. And I also imagine Rockford has lawyers on retainer. This means that many times they have absolutely zero to do. So they have to find people to sue in order to show Rockford that they still need them on retainer.

It's what I refer to as, "busy work". [​IMG]

12. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Like John has the time to self represent... He's a one man
    band.. Imagine what it's like for him just to handle a GP
    on AV12s.. Say he sells 100 12's 100 15's.. Just the
    logistics and time to package and ship 200 packages to any
    part of the country. And that doesn't count the hours spent
    on the phone overseas ordering the drivers and then with
    some of the problems he had with TC Sounds (not "problems"
    per se, miscommunications I guess) would drive me up a wall!

I am quite sure he doesn't have the money or the time to
    fight Fosgate and the pr|cks know it..

13. Rory Buszka

Judge: "I hereby find John Janowitz of Stryke Audio guilty of not having lots of money. The defendant shall hereby surrender all contested assets to the custody of the plaintiff."

I still think that this is a grand falure of justice. It's things like this that make people like me not want to vote.

I would write an angry letter to Fosgate but it would be like the one halloween episode of the Simpsons where Barney kicks the King-Kong Homer in the toe and the King-Kong Homer doesn't even feel it.

(I know there's nothing we can realistically do about it but that's nothing to stop me from fuming about it...)

14. John E Janowitz

John E Janowitz Second Unit

Hi Guys,

I guess I can chime in here and let everyone know what's going on. Here are the basics. I was delivered papers a month or so ago by attorneys representing the Rockford corporation. The papers state that Rockford owns Lightning Audio and in 2001 they had the name "Strike" trademarked for any and all things relating to audio.

I have been using the Stryke name since 1997, 4 years before the tradmark was filed, and before I had ever heard of Lightning Audio. The law states that alternate spelling is not enough to differentiate a differnt name, so the fact that I used a Y instead of an I means nothing. Also, their trademark shows first use in interstate commerce of the Strike name in 1996, a year before I first used Stryke.

The only thing that stands up in court is the first use of interstate commerce. Because their use was in 1996, and mine was in 1997, there is absolutely nothing I can do. I have talked to an attorney. I saw him for 30seconds. He told me I wasted his time and that there is nothing I can do but change the name. There is nothing even to negotiate.

So, I have to change the name. I have decided I need a different name to go with than Custom Audio Solutions. Need something more to represent the direction I want the business to go in. I actually started a contest on the website where people can submit suggestions for new names. Check out the site if you are interested.

John

15. dave alan

dave alan Second Unit

I would call it: Struck By Lightning Audio

16. Andrew S

Andrew S Stunt Coordinator

... or just struck. It's subtle and has meaning..

17. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Maybe a bit OT but....

The lawyers for "Monster" Cable were threatening and sueing everyone that used the word 'monster' in their name/title/URL /etc. This included everyone from Disney (Monsters Inc), to Monster.com (note the link at the bottom of their homepage), to a little costume shop that simply had webpage showing 'monster' costumes.

Over at AA (they're a little more politically aggressive than most forums) started a boycott 'Monster' products campaign. Not too soon there after a personal friend of Noel Lee, (Mr. Monster), pointed out to Noel that his lawyer's zeal was costing him a ton of goodwill. Mr. Lee apologized, then reigned in his legal team.

What to do? What to do?......

18. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Well I'll do as Brett,never buy any RF product ever again![​IMG]

19. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

Just convince the judge that Stryke is a french word pronouced differently.[​IMG]

I do like the "Struck" idea. "Stryking" might not be bad.