What's new

Structured Wiring - Cost?? (1 Viewer)

Jeff P

Agent
I realize there is alot of variables involved, but I just got a quote for $38 per port on our new construction home. To me it seemed a little high. Hence, a four port box (2 rg-6, 2 cat 5e) would be $152.

Does this seem high??

The box would be terminated and ran to the basement into a panel.....

Any feedback is appreciated..

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Keep in mind that builder "options" are usually a bit high. But, the builder has to divert the electrician from another area of work to get these ports installed.

However, doing it now is cheaper than doing it after the drywall has been installed.

James Gumbart

Stunt Coordinator
I did mine myself. Get a few friends to help out, and you can do it in a couple days.

Cost per port? A couple bucks at most (cable plus jacks).

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
James,

The only issue that Jeff might face because it is new construction is that the builder might not allow him to install the wiring. They might require that a certified electrician do it since the builder has to provide a warranty.

If Jeff were to do it with friends, it might have to wait until after settlement - and after the drywall has long been installed.

Personally, the rates might seem a bit high when you initially look at them. However, one must also consider their time spent shopping for the items to install and the labor involved with installing them. However, if you have no value for your time, then DIY is the only way to go.

I guess as I get older (well, 40 now) I tend to value my time a bit more. I spend plenty of time working, so when it comes to "off" time, I prefer to do things that I enjoy, versus trying to save a few bucks.

Just my $.02

Alfonso_M

Second Unit
It seems more than resonable price to me, in my area a single commercial Cat5e certified line goes for $75.00 to $150.00 depending on the company doing the bidding and how many nodes the job requires, among other factors. (More ports less per line cost)I 'd recommend making sure the RG6 cable used is top quality and not cheap imitations with poor shielding capabilities.

Jeff P

Agent
Thanks for the replys. This is a final home (we hope)for us and we might have up to 60 runs in the house. But, if it done right, a couple of thousand dollars would be worth it. My issue is what data ports to include in each room. I am considering 2 Cat 5e & 2 RG6 in bedrooms with 3 RG6 in the main viewing areas for Direct TIVO. Of course, the deadline is in a few days...

It is fun to design but stressful to predict the future....

SethH

Senior HTF Member
What all do you plan to use the cat5e cables for? They can be used for phones, networks, intercoms, security, etc. If you plan on doing more than two of these things you might consider running a third one. If you only plan to use it for network and phone then 2 should be fine, but I thought I'd mention a couple other things just in case.

Bill Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,

I just happened to do this myself a few weeks ago. My builder didn't have any problem with it, since the electrical inspector doesn't inspect low voltage wiring (at least not here in Tenessee).

It cost me about $10 per port. That was just for the cable. I ran two cat5e and two RG6. Not sure yet how much more it will cost to finish it off. Thought that might give you a point of reference of what you can save by doing it yourself.

Bill

Jeff P

Agent
Thanks for all the info!! Unfortunately, work is taking over my life so I won't have time to complete the wiring myself. Hence, everyone's help has been greatly appreciated....

GabeF

Auditioning
I agree with Alfonso, $38 is an absolute steal!

On the new house I'm building, a Cat5e or RG6 outlet is $80!

Considering the cable, outlets, and time, you'd be hard-pressed to save much money doing it yourself, and you sure as heck would pay more to have someone do it afterwards...

Good Luck on your new house!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks