What's new

Strong contender for worst title ever....... 'SWIMFAN' (1 Viewer)

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Saw the trailer for this attached to 'Reign of Fire', and while it didn't look all that bad for a run of the mill teenage-psycho-flick that's been done a million times lately, it has to have the worst title I've ever heard. Is this some kind of new marketing ploy - entice an audience by branding your film with an absolutely atrocious name?! Could work. ;)
The inverse law of quality-of-film-vs.-length-of-trailer would suggest that the film isn't any good, and they've used the standard technique of tantilizing the audience with the promise of much flesh. Could work. ;)
Still Erika Christensen is a hot name after Traffic, and she may just have the acting-chops to rise this one above the formulaic fluff that dominates the genre. Time will tell. It's out September over here? What's the US release date?
A 146K version of the poster is here.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Paul,
Just wait 'til you get a load of Fear Dot Com. ;) As for Swimfan, it was worse. IIRC, the original title was Swimfan77 or something similar, to approximate the nickname used in AOL chatrooms. Me, I think they should have titled it Fatal Attraction For Dummies, as that would also be keeping up with modern culture (i.e.-Windows For Dummies, Java For Dummies...etc).
Bruce

Evan Case

Screenwriter
Easily the most painful trailer I've ever sat through. Not only does it appear horribly cliched and poorly acted, but the trailer adds to the torture by seeming to give away virtually every "meaningful" plot twist! (And yes, I'm aware that that last bit sounds a bit like that old Annie Hall joke: "This dinner is awful!" "Yes, and such small portions!")
I don't think there's ever been a film I've looked less forward too than this (perhaps Scooby Doo).
Suffice to say I won't be catching this one.
Evan

Steeve Bergeron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steeve Bergeron
Does this movie look bad or what?! The trailer is extremely bad. I usually go see pretty much anything, but I think I'll pass on this one.

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
It's a teen-formula film in the same cookie-cutter fashion as Cruel Intentions.
Take up and coming attractive 20ish actors to play teen roles. (TV actors work best)
Steal plot and/or story from a successful "grown-up" movie.
Change setting to a modern high school or college.
It is a very dumb title, but maybe that will suit it perfectly. ;)
VOILA!

Paul Richardson

Second Unit
Even though the two films have nothing to do with each, I keep confusing Swimfan with Blue Crush because of the title.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Yes, the trailer sure seems to give everything away. I haven't seen the movie yet. It is worse than most trailers in that regard, but only slightly so. Trailers are generally evil.
I did like the way Erika Christensen delivered her, "You love me, I know it!" line. And I will probably see anything with Shiri Appleby -- loved her in Roswell.
It opens September 6. And I think it was called Swimfan85, not 77 (you might have been thinking of Airport or FORTRAN)
//Ken

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
While I agree the title, SWIMFAN sounds pretty banal, the new Antonio Banderas film, BALLISTIC:ECKS vs. SEVER sounds most ridiculous to me. Sounds like a UFC or WWE match instead of a Holloywood title starring a semi-A-list actor.
But I do agree about the Erika sentiment...slllurp!

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
I'm making a documentary about the website. I'm calling it "fear dot com dot com". I can't decide what to call the website for my documentary.
How about feardotcomdotcom.com? Imagine trying to tell people how to get to it! :)
As for Swimfan, yeah it's a bad trailer, but it has three likable actors (Jesse Bradford, Erika Christensen, whom I think is incredibly talted AND gorgeous, the double threat, and Shiri Appelby) in a "Fatal Attraction" for teens plot, so I'm sure it will make a little bit of money on that alone.
And yes, I'm seeing it. :)
Jason

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Oh, come ON guys! This trailer was hilarious! I think this movie's gonna...

Huh...what's that?

Ah, my bad. I thought it was a comedy.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
On the topic of your thread title, I don't think Swimfan is that bad a title compared to the upcoming film...
Link Removed
That's just horrid.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
A Nymphoid Barbarian in Dinosaur Hell

Let's Make Love

Rape Me

(those are movie titles, btw)

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
When I first saw the trailer for Swimfan, my first thought was, WOW! Julia Stiles has put on a lot of weight! :D Then I realised who it was. :b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks