What's new

Stromboli's, how the heck do you eat these things without... (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Of course, NYC gets it's tap water from the catskills. The Ashoken, the pepacton, and the rondout reservoirs in upstate new york so their tap water is not really from NYC. Maybe they should call it Catskills water.

Then I try not to piss in the various drainages into the reservoirs when I'm camping there.. :)

Jay

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

I wasn't sure how to frame the argument, since I know nothing about clam chowder. I don't know what goes into it, but I concede that that's the only place to get it in an authentic way. I'm probably wrong about being able to get pizza just as good anywhere, but I'm fortunate that I don't have much experience with real NYC pizza, so I can't tell the difference. :D

My mother is from New Orleans, so I do know from her that you just can't get stuff as good outside of the home base. Even people transplanted from NOLA can't get beignets (the locals just call 'em donuts) right. And though I don't eat them, she turns her nose up at oysters and crawdads outside of NOLA. I used to love authentic king cakes, but even New Orleans messed those up by trying to appeal to outsider tastes by filling them with fruit and stuff.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Anyhoo, I usually order Calzones with Mozerella instead of Ricotto o maybe I have been eating Stromboli (I guess you could suck all the sauce out with a straw).

There is a place in Seattle that serves "The Dome." They put all the ingredients for pizza in a bowl then cover it with pizza dough; bake it and then flip it over at your table. Quite tasty!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Maybe I should have called this thread 'To eat Pizza, or not to eat Pizza?' to compete with the smoking thread. ;)

I seriously doubt that NY has the monopoly on great Pizza, we have four places in my area (Wilmington, DE), CIAO!, Enzo's Pizza, Little Vinnie's Pizza and Gallery Pizza and they all have great Pizza. :emoji_thumbsup:

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Around 200 years of tradition and technique, passed down from generation to generation. Plus pork fat, lots of pork fat (the lack of this ingredient is where most other regions fall short of chowder and fall smack dab in the middle of milk soup).:D

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I found it interesting that of "NY"-style pizza, Connecticut has a lot of highly regarded pizzarias. I've also heard that the pizza most of the rest of the U.S. is familiar with originated in Philly.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
There's a street in New Haven CT that is known for Pizza. It's definitely to die for.

Now I'm not saying that every other place is crap. I bet there are tons of really awesome places out there, so it's not like I'm saying that CT is the only place to get awesome pizza, we just seem to have a reputation when it comes to pizza.

Also, I've never had Mystic Pizza, but there again is that weird CT pizza thing.

Oh, and in the town I live in, there is this place that makes INCREDIBLE pizza. The story goes, this guy wanted to get into the frozen pizza business...the other frozen pizza makers knew how great this guys pizza was and they pretty much bought out all of the shelf space in the grocery stores to keep this guy out of the supermarkets.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
John, you'll need a sharp knife (serrated is good). You should be able to gently saw (not push) through the Stromboli w/o any trouble...

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
John Williamson,

Gawd, I didn't think you'll get so many suggestions on how to eat a Stromboli! ;)

Given that a stromboli is more or less a larger calzone, a good knife and fork is really necessary to eat it cleanly. After all, you really need a knife and fork for a deep-dish pizza.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
Ahhhhh....I like this thread!!

I am a Sicilian with Brooklyn roots and now live in Maine.....The best of both world that has been discussed. A stromboli is different from a Calzone in that it should be more doughy. A lot of the filling tend to be a bit diferent and things not always found on a pizza (although now EVERYTHING is on a Pizza. A lot of strombolis have steak and other meats. A calzone HAS RICOTTA. That is what makes it a calzone. If you think a Calzone is folded Pizza.....then that is not true.....we call that "a folded pizza" LOL. People need to understand that we Italian literaly STUFF EVERTHING!! For Christmas dinner we had Lasagna with STUFFED meatballs. Nothing is better than a stuffed meatball. It is the same stuffing used in a Bradgole (Stuffed thin cut steak). We also had stuffed squid....nothing short of AMAZING.
As for pizza......that thin crust stuff that you see everywhere is nice and all but give e a nice slice of Sicilian style pizza. This pizza's crust is about an inch or more thick and it is loaded with cheese and whatever else you want....Chicago "deep dish" my a$$. Go to Brooklyn, NY sometime and get a nice piece of Sicilian Pizza with a Zeppoli for desert and you will be in heaven. As for this topping friendzy that is all over the place.... You will notice that Italians like nothing more than cheese. We enjoy the taste of a good sauce, good real Mozzerella and a little provolone, a doughy crust and excellent olive oil....the most overlooked ingrediant.
I agree with you Jeff about Chowders. Manhatten Chowder is an insult to what a chowder is. If the Chowder doesn't have pork fat then forget it. I too laugh at people when they come visit me and order clam strips......what the heck is that crap!?!?! You gotta' have the belly on it or it is no longer a clam.....

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
LOL!! I have not been to Totonno's forever!! Man that place was good. Is the Brooklyn location still open or is everything in NY (Manhattan) now?? I do not get down to the city as much as I should. I have a bunch of family in Howard Beach. I just went to 2 weddings at Russo's on the Bay out on Crossbay Blvd in the last few years.........what a show that was!! I was disapointed to see my favorite Jewish Deli, Shirleys, on Linden Blvd. closed :frowning:. I tried to get into the "The Lion King" on Broadway too but I was too late. So instead I went to the Carnegie Deli. I forgot how insane the sandwhiches were!! Sadly though I didn't get to enjoy a good pizza. We are planning a trip this year and not telling family so my wife and I can just go around and enjoy as much as we can. Up here in Maine we actually have a great Pizza place called Ricetta's. They make everything in the brick oven like Totonno's although I think Totonno's uses coal....this place uses wood. The Pizza is great though but doesn't have that PERFECT NY taste or amabiance......it gets me by though.....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks