What's new

Stromboli's, how the heck do you eat these things without... (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
...having the immediate area around you, not to mention your face, looking like an outtake from Cannibal Holocaust?

These things are MESSY, I just had one and I looked like a zombie from Dawn of the Dead afterward, i've never been able to eat one without all of it "contents" spilling out all over the place! :crazy:

Is there some method that i'm missing on how to eat these things a little more neatly without looking like a lion tearing apart a deer on the Discovery Channel?

I love em' but geez.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Really? I didn't think of that. ;) I guess what i'm asking is how do you keep all of the stuff from oozing out of it once you cut it up?

I must have had at least 100 Stromboli's in my life and I can never eat one without making a mess and I know there's a way. :)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Use a plate along with your fork and knife. Cut gently into it and don't apply too much pressure.

Stromboli's are so good.. done right that is.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Stromboli. I used to get great stromboli at a place that just drenched the outside in garlic butter.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Yep except most calizones use a ranch type dressing inside(all the ones I've had). I usually have them put pizza sauce instead anyway :)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Yep, a Stromboli is merely a pizza that has been folded over onto itself, the edges sealed and then baked...awesome!
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
The place where I buy my Stromboli's also have Calzone's but they use ricotta cheese in it...YUCK! :thumbsdown:

Thanks, Shane, i've tried that but it still runs all over, i'm beginning to suspect that perhaps these things are inherantly messy and that my quest for neatness is futile. :D

MichaelBA

Supporting Actor
Ranch dressing on a calzone?! What goes ON outside NYC?!?

And ricotta is THE indispensable guts of a calzone!

O Maronn'!

...and it's "inherently."

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That's a new one for me too, and I don't live anywhere near NY.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Same here. I've heard of a lot of different variety of stuffings for a stromboli/calzone, but not ranch dressing.

I always thought it was just one of those regional dialect words where different words describe the exact same thing (like "pop" vs. "soda").

And, yes, with a knife and fork is the civilized way to eat them.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Not only have I not heard about Ranch dressing in a calzone (Ricotta is what you use), but Ranch dressing in a calzone sounds very disturbing!

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I've only had calzones from these guys a couple times, but I think they give you a choice for dipping: marinara sauce or ranch dressing: D.P. Dough

Maybe Shane was talking about dipping, because ranch dressing inside of a calzone does sound weird. Those Oklahomans...:p)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks