What's new

Strobe light effect during bright sky scenes (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I was just watching The Sound of Music, and at the beginning when the sky is shown in some of the scenes, at the top of the picture, there's a strobe light effect going on. Is there anything that can be done about this?

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
no its from the blades of the helicoptor they filmed those shots with theres nothing that can fix that. Its nothing wrong with the print your tv or dvd player just simply the light going through the blades of the helicoptor and the frame rate of the film.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Thanks for the reply, Jeremy, but I'm not talking about the helicopter shots. I'm talking about the shots where Maria is singing in the hills.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
BTW, I don't think this "problem" is exclusive to The Sound of Music DVD, I think I've seen it on others as well.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Oklahoma! is plagued by the same sort of thing too; the color strobes wildly in the sky, making for a most irritating viewing experience. No idea what caused this but I find it hard to believe the film looks like this.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Definitely not unique to SoM.

FWIW, when Disney released Snow White, there was actually discussion of the phenomena, and the fact that they created a process to correct it. I think I read an article in Time Magazine around the time of release that talked about it.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable on the subject will chime in, but suffice to say that it exists in many DVD's.

And while they corrected it in Snow White, they did NOT seem to do so in Beauty and the Beast.

BGL

Lee_eel

Second Unit
I think this artefact is damage to the print. It is apparent in several older movies and appears as constantly fluctuating colours that appear normal and then slightly darker. I have seen this artefact in TSOM and it isnt just in sky shots but also in interior shots.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks