1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Strobe light effect during bright sky scenes

Discussion in 'DVD' started by ThomasC, Jul 26, 2003.

1. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I was just watching The Sound of Music, and at the beginning when the sky is shown in some of the scenes, at the top of the picture, there's a strobe light effect going on. Is there anything that can be done about this?

2. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

no its from the blades of the helicoptor they filmed those shots with theres nothing that can fix that. Its nothing wrong with the print your tv or dvd player just simply the light going through the blades of the helicoptor and the frame rate of the film.

3. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Thanks for the reply, Jeremy, but I'm not talking about the helicopter shots. I'm talking about the shots where Maria is singing in the hills.

4. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

I'll have to check it out too to see what it looks like.

5. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

BTW, I don't think this "problem" is exclusive to The Sound of Music DVD, I think I've seen it on others as well.

6. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Oklahoma! is plagued by the same sort of thing too; the color strobes wildly in the sky, making for a most irritating viewing experience. No idea what caused this but I find it hard to believe the film looks like this.

7. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Definitely not unique to SoM.

FWIW, when Disney released Snow White, there was actually discussion of the phenomena, and the fact that they created a process to correct it. I think I read an article in Time Magazine around the time of release that talked about it.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable on the subject will chime in, but suffice to say that it exists in many DVD's.

And while they corrected it in Snow White, they did NOT seem to do so in Beauty and the Beast.

BGL

8. Lee_eel

Lee_eel Second Unit

I think this artefact is damage to the print. It is apparent in several older movies and appears as constantly fluctuating colours that appear normal and then slightly darker. I have seen this artefact in TSOM and it isnt just in sky shots but also in interior shots.