What's new

String and Tape Method of Calibration - Need Help! (1 Viewer)

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
It's been a long time since I've been to this section of HTF (spend most of it in Software), but I find myself needing help with convergence/geometry of my Toshiba 50H81. Yes, it's about 5 yrs. old now, but still great. However, a couple days ago I noticed that any lettering on the screen was blurred. I can't afford a pro calibration yet, and I'm wondering if any of you can provide a link to another site (or can go into detail on your own) that I seem to remember a while back describing how to do this with string and tape.

Dick Knisely

Second Unit
Have you recently recalibrated with one of the DVD guides?

Don't have a clue what "string and tape" would be doing but the test patterns are all on the AVIA or Video Essentials DVDs.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

The string would be for mechanical focus. Electronic focus is done on the focus pack under the front hood.

The H81 actually has rungs to hang the screen on thus bypassing the need for strings to do the focus.

Tape is used for lens striping.

Both could also be used in conjunction with geometry and straightening out lines.

Regards

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor

Michael, could you explain this a little more, the screen hangs on rungs but how does that help with doing the focus?

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

With the screen hanging up about 6 inches you can still put a picture up and focus the image in real time. Obviously you need to see an image to be able to focus it.

There is a gap for you to stick your arm in and do the manual mechanical focus. Best to do it with the service convergence grid ... easiest to focus your eyes on.

Regards

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
I need to clarify my terminology! I meant the to say "convergence" instead of calibration. I had done this before (several years ago) and had lost my information.

Dave,
What you've posted is what I remember, thanks very much!

But Michael TLV, go ahead and continue this ... I'm learning and enjoying at the same time. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks