What's new

Striking out with the lower-priced progressive scan players (1 Viewer)

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
I am trying to replace my JVC XVD-723GD. My display is a Mits WS-55807. So far, I have auditioned 3 players in the following order:

Cyberhome DVD-300 ($40)
JVC XV-FA900BK (7 DVD changer) ($130)
Yamaha DV-S5650 ($150)

Features I want to upgrade include overall picture quality, layer change, display dimmer from remote, reduce jitter, and the player must be black rather than gold or silver in color.

Of the 3, the Cyberhome was the clear winner in the layer change department. Almost non-existent and much faster than the 723. The 900BK was 2nd and the Yammie was bad.

The 900BK has a display dimmer on the remote, but the player has 7 horrible orange circles indicating each disc. This is a terrible idea. Very distracting and I could not disable it. The Yammie display has the traditional soft yellow look, which I did not even try to disable because it was unnoticeable. Cyberhome...I can't remember.

Jitter was still there on all, leading me to conclude that a lot of DVDs will seem jittery on a 55-inch TV from 6-7 feet away.

The bummer was that all three players had jagged edges on red objects. I forget if this is called ghosting or chroma or scaling. But whatever it is, all three players did it badly. My JVC was a clear winner in this regard.

I hope some of this helps people in a similar situation. If you have a big-screen, you may have to break out of the cheapskate mode and throw down some cash to make a real improvement. Maybe I'll try the Yamaha DVD-C940 next, I just hope the layer change is improved over the 5650.

Suggestions welcome.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Get a top-rated model with a Faroudja de-interlacer like the Panasonic RP82,XP30,XP50 or Denon DVD-1600 or Mitsubishi DD-8040 or Denon DVD-910.

Danny Beck

Stunt Coordinator
I tracked down an XP30 myself and I love it. The quality of the XP lineup is clearly better than anything currently available for $250 right now.

Danny

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks