Strictly rating the HT aspect, who makes the best HT reciever for $1200 or less?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe, Nov 29, 2002.

1. Joe

Joe Stunt Coordinator

Strictly rating the HT aspect, not music, who makes the best HT reciever for $1200 or less?

Thanks.

2. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

The best deal I have heard of is a HK AVR-8000 for 12-something shipped. Seems to still be do-able.
    Is that what you are asking?

If you could be a little more specific...

-rob

3. Joe

Joe Stunt Coordinator

I was just looking for opinions as to who implemented the best straight up 5.1 DD/DTS surround sound (best soundstage, clarity, ect.). I'm not judging any other aspects such as extra surround modes, 2 channel performance, or other items.

I suppose it could be possible that for HT, are recievers are virtually the same for 5.1 DD/DTS performance.

4. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

I am going to stay with the h/k reccomendation. The retail is close to 3k. Excellent musical performer as well. It only has 5 channels of amplification on board but is ready for 7.1 otherwise. It is really leaps and bounds ahead of other comporably priced stuff imo.

Good place to start at least. If you can get a warrantied one for a little over $1200 it will be well worth the extra money. Try running a search in this forum.

-rob

5. TerryHenson

TerryHenson Agent

Yamaha is a serious HT contender. The RX-V2200, RX-V2300, RX-V3200, RX-V3300, RX-V1, RX-Z1 models are their best offerings at AVR's.

Terry

6. Joe

Joe Stunt Coordinator

bump

7. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

I would nominate the Denon 3803 for its price (MSRP) based on the following attributes.

1) Excellent processing- One of the best straight DD and DTS processing. Yamaha is also good and has a lot of 'other' processing modes. HK and Marantz do this equally well. Thought Marantz has some lock in problems with some discs (or so I have heard)

2) Build quality - One of the best in its class. Robust amplifiers that can handle 4 ohm speakers. Almost true output ratings. Marantz and Yamaha are in the same league. HK slightly suspect in this regard (dont go by sheer weight, but take a peek inside, at its piss poor tin foil heat sinks).

3) Sound - Warm and musical. HK and Marantz are excellent in this regard for 2 channel music. But for straight HT it would be hard to differentiate them.

This is strictly my opinion based on my experience. Others might have a difference of opinion which in no way implies that they are wrong.

My 2 cents.

8. Also although overpriced Denon is one of the best for Home theater. If music is a concern though I would get the H/K

9. Oh, also H/K has probably the most accurate power rating they are rated at I believe 85 WPC with all channels driven at 8 ohms 20Hz-20kHz. Most companies only rate at a certain frequency which is not accurate. A perfect example is Onkyo with the 696 which is rated at I believe 100 or 110 wpc and they only actually put out something like 27 wpc with all channels driven at 20Hz-20kHz

10. Philip_T

Philip_T Supporting Actor

Although I own and love my Denon 2802 with a parasound 885 amp, I must say that the Rotel 1055 that I heard over the weekend was very impressive. However, it runs $1299.00, but worth a listen.