What's new

Strictly based on performance, SVS Box or cylinder sub? $1200 to spend. (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I simply want a solid defined answer here. I have read up on both the box and cylinder subs that SVS offers and still feel that I do not have a definitive answer. Space is not a concern of mine so the bigger the sub the better.

I have also thought about dual Outlaw LFM-1's, Dual HSU VTF-3's or a single Axiom EP-600. I know the Axiom is $500 over my price range but might spring for it if I feel the value is there.

Thanks for the help.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

Answer to what? If you want the best $1200 sub that SVS makes, or even at that price range, regardless of form-factor, I'd say it's the PB12-Plus/2.

Jacob C

Second Unit

SVS PB12-Plus/2 or, if you are willing to wait a bit, HSU VTF-3 HO. The performance is similar but the HO is cheaper. Either way it is going to rock your world. I am thinking about stepping up to the 'HO' this winter if I can get my hands on one.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You cannot get a cylinder in a dual config, so the 12/2, Plus/2, and Ultra/2 will always give you a performance advantage in their respective categories. Single driver units box vs cylinder, there shouldn't be a dramatic difference in performance.

I say Plus/2 also for the price, but without knowing your room size it is going to be hard to say exactly what will fit your needs.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Thanks for the info Curtis. Looks to be one sweet sub. I do have a question though and I hope that I don't sound stupid but what is turbo for the HSU?

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I just got off the phone with HSU and these things are on back order till NOV/DEC. The introductory offer is also no longer. The Sub is now $899 and the turbocharger is $199. If you buy the sub and turbo at the same time then you get it all for $999. Still one heck of a deal for that kind of performance. Almost gave them my credit card # to put me on the waiting list. Still am going to decide between the HSU and the SVS PB-12 PLUS 2.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Jeff

I've run dual subs for a few years and I like that sound. About 14 feet apart on the front wall. It gives a "wall of bass" effect that I really enjoy. So, I would suggest that either 2 VTF-3MKIIs, or if you want just one much bigger box, the SVS PB-12 Plus/2 is a great choice at $1,200.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Arthur,

So you have dual subs. It sounds like you have one at the left corner wall and one at the right, is that correct? What kind of subs are you running?
And I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question but how do you hook up two subs? Do you get a Y splitter and just split them up?

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Lee,

I am really leaning towards going that direction although it's going to be a little more now because I would want the cherry finish to match the cherry towers I just purchased.

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
If you want the wood finish, it's worth the extra $200 to get the performance of this subwoofer. But I think you'd be surprised with how good the black looks, it has a sleek understated look, and black goes with just about any room color. And it would keep you under $1,200 :)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

Well, I listened to a lot of subs and enjoyed all of them. I finally decided on getting the SVS PB10 NSD for right now. Great sub and a great value. I picked it up B-stock for only $389. It doesn't perform like a $389 sub should. I am highly impressed with it.
I am going to wait it out to spend some real money on a high end sub within the next few months. I am mainly interested in SVS's new 13 ultra sub, av123's BMF-1 and MFW-15. The HSU VTF-3 MKIII is still on my list of potentials as well.

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
Everyone who's heard the PB10 says it performs surprisingly good considering it's size. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks