Stretched Picture in Wide Screen

Discussion in 'Displays' started by SueW, Dec 27, 2005.

1. SueW

SueW Auditioning

Hi,

My hubby is a regular on this board - I am not. We are having an argument over the picture format on our widescreen TVs. They are great for DVDs and some HD channels on digital cable. But for most TV channels, the picture is stretched sideways to fit the TV, making people short and fat and even growing their noses when they turn their heads sideways. It is very irritating to watch in this format - especially hockey games which give me motion sickness as the camera pans around quickly and the ice and players are constantly stretched one way and then another. He insisted I was seeing things and I ignored it for years as his home theatre system was in the basement. But now he went out and bought an LCD widescreen for the main living room - I can't even sit in the kitchen without seeing it!

I know there is a way to set up the picture so this doesn't happen - you don't see it this way at the stores. Please explain to him that stretching the picture IS distortion and tell him how to fix it so the TV is watchable. They may be great for watching movies, but 9 times out of 10, I'm just watching sit coms or news up here and now I can't even do that! Please help!!!

2. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

There is NO reason to stretch a LCD tv picture. You cannot damage a LCD screen by showing the black bars on the left and right of the picture, and (IMO) distorting a standard definition picture is just stupid.

You should have several options for displaying your picture for each of your tv inputs (composite, svideo, component, dvi, etc.) Look through your onscreen menus and adjust the display.

I assume that your standard definition comes into your tv through a composite or svideo input, and your high def and dvd pictures come through component and/or dvi/HDMI. you should be able to adjust only the composite/svideo displays to show the picture in the proper aspect ratio without affecting the HD and dvd pictures.

3. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

There are 3 ways a 4:3 (standard) picture can be displayed on a 16:9 (widescreen) display:

1) In a 4:3 window with bars on the side (pillarbox).
    2) Zoomed in so the top and bottom are cut off.
    3) Stretched horizonatlly.

Toshibas combine #2 and #3 in their Theaterwide 3 mode and most sets offer a graduated stretch (more stretch on the sides, less in the middle), but these are the basics. Since you have an LCD display, #1 will not cause any burn in and would be fine to use on 4:3 material. Otherwise, you are stuck with cutting off the picture (#2) or stretching (#3).

4. John S

John S Producer

You should be able to have a near prefect sqaure (Well 4:3) picture in the middle of the widescreen with blakc on the sides. You should also be able to have just a little crop with a decent rectangle in the middle of the screen with only small bars on the sides. On the remote, hit the ratio button a few times to gauge you options.

I hate stretched video... On here Original OAR is still the only acceptable viewing mode. If the source is really 4:3 it should be viewed in 4:3 no matter what the ratio of your display is. And on a widescreen display, 4:3 is nearly a square in the middle of the widescreen with black bars on the sides.

5. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Ufortunately, some t.v.s do well with stretch mode, and others don't. In light of your complaint, it sounds like you should just use the pillarboxes on the sides of the t.v.s when watching 4:3 material. I personally think that my Sony does a great job with the stretch modes and I'm happy with it, but out of the two stretch modes Wide zoom and zoom. Everything looks better with wide zoom on for me.

6. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

If there is lots of motion, the graduated stretch (more stretch at the sides, less in the middle) can look obnoxious.

There is no compelling need to watch TV pictures that are stretched out unnaturally with one exception, if there are lots of people in the room and some are sitting way off to the sides. Uniform stretch should look better

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

7. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

Your TV is a LCD so there is no need to fear burn-in. Therefore there is no excuse to distort the image to fill the screen. In short just tell your husband to read this thread. [​IMG]

8. SueW

SueW Auditioning

Thanks! He's been reading!