What's new

Stretch Modes in Games: Justified Practice or Mangled Aspect Ratios? (1 Viewer)

Brett G

Stunt Coordinator
Jeffrey,

You are right and I do take breaks quite a bit. I've been playing games on my RPTV for two years with no burn-in. My point was simply that because I have chosen to play games on my RPTV, my sacrifice is that I usually stretch them. Yes, HUD's can cause burn-in so I'm very aware of them. I play many different games in varying amounts, so the HUD's will change quite a bit. Gray bars would be the same for any game, and that wouldn't eliminate the HUD problem anyway. Given the fact that I will not stop gaming on my RPTV (especially not after playing Metroid Prime on my 65-incher), stretching is the lesser of the two evils when compared to potential burn-in.

-Brett

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
I've been playing Metroid stretched... and I can hardly tell. I don't have any problem with stretching the games out if it looks good. I really doubt the designers would be up in arms because we're scewing their artistic vision.

I'd even put some money down that some of them would do the same thing given the choice.

Bill Eberhardt

Stunt Coordinator
I like to stretch everything. I have yet to find a game where it makes a difference. Maybe the distortion would be more pronounced in a game where the screen image rotates.

But what if I'm playing online with xbox live on my 55" HDTV all stretched out and my opponent is playing with a little 13" set? Am I getting an unfair advantage? What if the game supports widescreen and I'm playing in 16:9 mode and my opponent is in 4:3 mode?

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Just because it may not look bad doesn’t' mean that it still isn't distorted.
How do you know that the project leader of the game didn't look at it stretched and decided that the distortion isn't bad enough to justify the cost to support 16:9? This is your gray area, and yes it happens a lot. Quite a few of my friends in the bizz aim their games to look good on both ARs without one or the other being the actual "right" way to display it.

Dean

Trevor Harveaux

Stunt Coordinator
I really doubt the designers would be up in arms because we're scewing their artistic vision.
I'd even put some money down that some of them would do the same thing given the choice.
We aren't, and we do. :D Widescreen IS preferable, but I don't give a rip if somebody stretches a game, I do it myself all the time.
For most games, unless you know what you are looking for, you can't tell if it is stretched or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks