What's new

street date question (re: Cary Grant films) (1 Viewer)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
There are some upcoming Cary Grant movies (I was a Male War Bride, etc.) that have (or at least had) a street date of Jan. 6.

Today, I saw four of these (Born to be Bad, I was a Male War Bride, Kiss them for Me and People Will Talk) on sale at a store (that will remain nameless for the moment to adhere to forum rules).

For a variety of reasons I have to wonder if the street date has been changed, or if this store might have permission to sell them early.

This isn't a case of a big name title coming out the Friday before street date.

- this is a member only store, so it doesn't compete with many others

- this store doesn't break street date, new dvds are never put out until Tuesday

- I was told by a manager that their computer doesn't allow them to come out before street date (this may or may not be true)

- this isn't some big title, they're all deep catalog $8.99 films, with a limited audience

- these are out over month before street date.

It just doesn't make sense to me that this store would violate their own policy and put these small titles out 5 weeks before street date.

Has the street date changed? Do they have permission to sell them early? Or are they indeed breaking street date for some strange reason?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
According to the Fox press site, the street date has NOT changed.

I too was amazed to find these at the same store you are referring to. Right next to Alien Quadrilogy, in fact.

Do they have special permission? Possibly, but how would one know?

My suggestion is that if you want 'em, buy 'em!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Looks like I have to wait until January since I don't have any of those stores in my immediate area.

William Miller

Second Unit
Thanks for the tip also. I bought all 4 Grant titles.

This store has always had a thing going with 20th Fox. They had a batch of those reissued 5 Star Collection titles that no one else had. They also were offering Sunrise in special packages. I guess they were given an exclusive on the 4 Cary Grant titles for a month. Best Buy has an exclusive for a few months on that Rolling Stones DVD. This could be happening a lot more in the future as big retail chains use their power to make special promotions.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well if it is an approved exclusive window, then it isn't really breaking street date, and it raises the question of whether the Moderators would OK naming the store.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Well if it is an approved exclusive window, then it isn't really breaking street date, and it raises the question of whether the Moderators would OK naming the store.
Yeah, but there's no way of knowing if it's approved or not, unless Fox comes here and says so. I doubt that they would, though, because then other chains might cry "foul" like they are with the aforementioned Rolling Stones/Best Buy situation.

Ahem, we wouldn't want it to COST them anything.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Fair enough. I think this would be of interest only to a small handful of people anyway, and if any such person can't figure it out, send me (or one of the other participants in this thread) a pm.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks