street date for new Panasonic players?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Shelly, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly Second Unit

I already have an RP82 and an RP62. I am very curious on how the 2003 models will perform. I am sure others are as well.

Depending on my needs I might be one of the first to buy one. But only if one of my DVD players stops working altogether.

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Chris, I have heard nothing about new Panasonic DVD players. You would think some new models would be coming soon, seeing as the 'RP91 is two years old and the 'RP82 has been phased out.

3. TimothyE

TimothyE Stunt Coordinator

I got an email a bit over a week ago saying,

4. Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly Second Unit

I have seen the teasers. I am most interested in the single disk version of the new 85 series.

If the 85 series changer is soposed to be $149 I wonder how much the single disk version will be?

5. TimothyE

TimothyE Stunt Coordinator

They won't have DCDi deinterlacing, so they're not going to be able to get my attention no matter how low the price.

Tim

6. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

7. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Second Unit

8. Jerry Dreiss

Jerry Dreiss Stunt Coordinator

9. Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly Second Unit

I wonder if it is possible that Panasonic is taking the Genesis chip design in-house?

I find it hard to believe that new players would be so inferior over the current designs. Things are supposed get better not worse in later models.

I guess we will find out when these hit the streets.

10. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Second Unit

No, Genesis bought out Sage and are producing the chips using the Faroudja technology themselves. Panasonic has always tried to hide the fact that they were using the Sage chips, so going to their own chip would be a natural progression for them. The competition from other cheap players has driven Panasonic to lower their price and performance targets to be competitive. As much as we'd like to think otherwise, we who frequent these forums and desire the best video quality from their DVD players are a very small minority in the DVD player market. Remember, less than half the households in the U.S. that have TVs have DVD players.

11. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

I agree with Mike,price is now a definate issue for 90% of people.At Christms damn near every store had piles of the $50 Aepx players stacked ceiling high.Sad to say ,but in corporate decissions ,price and X amount units sold ,is way above PQ,and other minor things[​IMG] ,the other 10% (US)want.
    All six pack Joe knows is its cheap and plays through composite on his 25 incher,and could care less about what chip is in it.EXAMPLE GM's F-body platform,best bang for the buck car in years,not enough sales,so now it's gone.