street date for new Panasonic players?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Shelly, Jan 25, 2003.

  1. Chris Shelly

    Chris Shelly Second Unit

    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2001
    Messages:
    274
    Likes Received:
    0
    I already have an RP82 and an RP62. I am very curious on how the 2003 models will perform. I am sure others are as well.

    Depending on my needs I might be one of the first to buy one. But only if one of my DVD players stops working altogether.
     
  2. KeithH

    KeithH Lead Actor

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2000
    Messages:
    9,413
    Likes Received:
    0
    Chris, I have heard nothing about new Panasonic DVD players. You would think some new models would be coming soon, seeing as the 'RP91 is two years old and the 'RP82 has been phased out.
     
  3. TimothyE

    TimothyE Stunt Coordinator

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2002
    Messages:
    104
    Likes Received:
    0
    I got an email a bit over a week ago saying,

     
  4. Chris Shelly

    Chris Shelly Second Unit

    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2001
    Messages:
    274
    Likes Received:
    0
    I have seen the teasers. I am most interested in the single disk version of the new 85 series.

    If the 85 series changer is soposed to be $149 I wonder how much the single disk version will be?
     
  5. TimothyE

    TimothyE Stunt Coordinator

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2002
    Messages:
    104
    Likes Received:
    0
    They won't have DCDi deinterlacing, so they're not going to be able to get my attention no matter how low the price.

    Tim
     
  6. JohnnyG

    JohnnyG Screenwriter

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2000
    Messages:
    1,522
    Likes Received:
    0
     
  7. MikeSRC

    MikeSRC Second Unit

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2002
    Messages:
    369
    Likes Received:
    0
     
  8. Jerry Dreiss

    Jerry Dreiss Stunt Coordinator

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 1998
    Messages:
    55
    Likes Received:
    0
     
  9. Chris Shelly

    Chris Shelly Second Unit

    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2001
    Messages:
    274
    Likes Received:
    0
    I wonder if it is possible that Panasonic is taking the Genesis chip design in-house?

    I find it hard to believe that new players would be so inferior over the current designs. Things are supposed get better not worse in later models.

    I guess we will find out when these hit the streets.
     
  10. MikeSRC

    MikeSRC Second Unit

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2002
    Messages:
    369
    Likes Received:
    0
    No, Genesis bought out Sage and are producing the chips using the Faroudja technology themselves. Panasonic has always tried to hide the fact that they were using the Sage chips, so going to their own chip would be a natural progression for them. The competition from other cheap players has driven Panasonic to lower their price and performance targets to be competitive. As much as we'd like to think otherwise, we who frequent these forums and desire the best video quality from their DVD players are a very small minority in the DVD player market. Remember, less than half the households in the U.S. that have TVs have DVD players.
     
  11. Greg Kolinski

    Greg Kolinski Second Unit

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2002
    Messages:
    331
    Likes Received:
    0
    I agree with Mike,price is now a definate issue for 90% of people.At Christms damn near every store had piles of the $50 Aepx players stacked ceiling high.Sad to say ,but in corporate decissions ,price and X amount units sold ,is way above PQ,and other minor things[​IMG] ,the other 10% (US)want.
    All six pack Joe knows is its cheap and plays through composite on his 25 incher,and could care less about what chip is in it.EXAMPLE GM's F-body platform,best bang for the buck car in years,not enough sales,so now it's gone.
     

Share This Page