What's new

Streaming Radio with Amazon Dot (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
We're in the market for an FM alarm clock radio for the bedroom. I was thinking the Dot might work. It can certainly be used to wake us up. I'm used to hearing my local (Little Rock) NPR station in the morning, but somehow I doubt I can stream that. Anyway to see if it's possible?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
You can link iHeartRadio, Spotify and TuneIn to your Amazon Echo devices, so if your local NPR station is available via one of those streaming radio services you will be able to play the station. I am not sure how you can get that station to be your alarm wake-up sound, though. The settings via the Alexa app do not appear to allow that. You can always tell Alexa to play your NPR station after the alarm goes off, of course.

We have a Dot in our bedroom, but still are old school and use a Sony dual-alarm clock radio for our wake-up alarms. Not sure why -- probably just because we are used to doing it that way. Plus, the clock radio obviously has a clock to look at for the time, which the Dot does not. We've never used the radio function on the clock radio, though.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
You can link iHeartRadio, Spotify and TuneIn to your Amazon Echo devices, so if your local NPR station is available via one of those streaming radio services you will be able to play the station. I am not sure how you can get that station to be your alarm wake-up sound, though. The settings via the Alexa app do not appear to allow that. You can always tell Alexa to play your NPR station after the alarm goes off, of course.

We have a Dot in our bedroom, but still are old school and use a Sony dual-alarm clock radio for our wake-up alarms. Not sure why -- probably just because we are used to doing it that way. Plus, the clock radio obviously has a clock to look at for the time, which the Dot does not. We've never used the radio function on the clock radio, though.
Not having a device that displays the time is somethings I hadn't thought of. I'll have to think on that.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
We dumped our traditional alarm clock a year ago and don't miss it at all. Between the Amazon Dot, my fitbit and the cable box I can get the time if I need it but I have found more and more that I don't really need it.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Comcast no longer supplies cable boxes with clock displays unless you get a DVR, so neither of our boxes has a clock. I was so used looking at the one on the box in our family room where the home theater is that when we upgraded service and got a newer box, I bought a cheap LED clock to put in my equipment rack.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks