What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
And now Dolby Vision is disabled on the Roku app for HBO Max (has been for several weeks now). :angry:

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Movie Explorer
Premium
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
That's another frustration right there.

If I'm watching IMDb content through my Amazon Prime subscription, why am I still seeing ads?
Yep, I feel your pain!! I don't know exactly when, but about 4 or 5 months ago all IMDb programing went from FREE to free with ads!!!!!!!!! This has definatly lowered it's value in my eyes!! And more and more tv series on Prime are free until you get the last season or two...then I have to buy them to finish the series, I call a Big BS Amazon!!!
I am rethinking just how nessisary this platform is to me, despite liking the free shipping aspect,these program adjustments almost negnates free shipping...Bazos is a Bozo!!

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So, I have Roku set up on 4 TVs in my house. One thing that seems to happen is different stations (not sure if this is the correct term for these) cease to function at different times. Currently I can't get Shudder to open. I just get a black screen. This seems to change from time to time and the same thing happens to one sometimes two of the stations for a while. I don't know why and I can't seem to find a way to fix it I just will lose a channel/service for a period, it will come back and then a different one will just open to a black screen. Anybody else experience this?

Mostly, while I find this streaming stuff interesting, I am not a big fan but I watch so little TV it kind of ends up being alright. It seems to make little sense to have to subscribe to all these different individual services but I guess if you just do trial runs or subscribe short term to see something specific it can work out to be cost effective.

Capt D McMars

Movie Explorer
Premium
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
So, I have Roku set up on 4 TVs in my house. One thing that seems to happen is different stations (not sure if this is the correct term for these) cease to function at different times. Currently I can't get Shudder to open. I just get a black screen. This seems to change from time to time and the same thing happens to one sometimes two of the stations for a while. I don't know why and I can't seem to find a way to fix it I just will lose a channel/service for a period, it will come back and then a different one will just open to a black screen. Anybody else experience this?

Mostly, while I find this streaming stuff interesting, I am not a big fan but I watch so little TV it kind of ends up being alright. It seems to make little sense to have to subscribe to all these different individual services but I guess if you just do trial runs or subscribe short term to see something specific it can work out to be cost effective.
I'm still amazed that TCM hasn't stepped up to create a TCM+ service? I miss the live feeds. In order to get the live feed you have to subscribe to a cable/cable-esque sevice that I just won't do!! Catch 22!!
HBOmax does have select titles from the TCM channel, but not the live streaming!!

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
What are the Roku models and how long have you had them? Are they running the current firmware (either v10.5 or v11.0)? Have you tried restarting or power cycling the affected Roku?

Capt D McMars

Movie Explorer
Premium
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
What are the Roku models and how long have you had them? Are they running the current firmware (either v10.5 or v11.0)? Have you tried restarting or power cycling the affected Roku?
roku is good about updating, like most Sony BD players but it never hurts to check the devices...

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I'm still amazed that TCM hasn't stepped up to create a TCM+ service? I miss the live feeds. In order to get the live feed you have to subscribe to a cable/cable-esque sevice that I just won't do!! Catch 22!!
HBOmax does have select titles from the TCM channel, but not the live streaming!!

What exactly do you mean by "live streaming"?

You mean want the exact same experience as whatever usual cable/OTA-broadcast channels?

IF that's what you want for TCM (and some handful others), Sling TV might be the (relatively) "cheapest" option...

_Man_

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst

You mean want the exact same experience as whatever usual cable/OTA-broadcast channels?

IF that's what you want for TCM (and some handful others), Sling TV might be the (relatively) "cheapest" option...

_Man_
WatchTCM has a live feed to stream the same experience as cable. But of course the only way to use the WatchTCM app is to have a cable subscription. There is no cord-cutter version of TCM to allow an outside subscription to the service like there is with HBO or other channels.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
WatchTCM has a live feed to stream the same experience as cable. But of course the only way to use the WatchTCM app is to have a cable subscription. There is no cord-cutter version of TCM to allow an outside subscription to the service like there is with HBO or other channels.

I'd check what Sling TV offers, if that's not too expensive (and offers interested bundle) -- get either their Orange or Blue bundle for $35 and add their Hollywood Extra for another $6 to get the TCM channel (and a few other movie channels) included.

You'd basically get a small-ish, cable-like bundle that way...

_Man_

Capt D McMars

Movie Explorer
Premium
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier

_Man_
SLing and others like Hulu +live, as I've stated before are "cable" wrapped in a different package. To get the channel I want (TCM), I have to buy 30-50 channels I'll never watch!!!
In an al carte world, TCM needs to smell the roses of opportunity and go outside of thier comfort zone take advantage of an additional stand alone app. While still offering it on thier cable and cable like services. Thereby adding addiitional audieces to thier base supportes, again Win Win for all...You Me TCM!!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
SLing and others like Hulu +live, as I've stated before are "cable" wrapped in a different package. To get the channel I want (TCM), I have to buy 30-50 channels I'll never watch!!!
In an al carte world, TCM needs to smell the roses of opportunity and go outside of thier comfort zone take advantage of an additional stand alone app. While still offering it on thier cable and cable like services. Thereby adding addiitional audieces to thier base supportes, again Win Win for all...You Me TCM!!

I don't know, but they perhaps just don't think there's enough demand for them to jump into that arena on their own...

Actually, didn't they already try that or partner w/ others like Warner beyond HBO Max (to be able to know about the demand)?

Streaming in general seems to appeal more to a (relatively) younger market/demographic, which probably isn't exactly TCM's turf -- of course, there are exceptions like those of us on HTF... and personally, I already get my fill of the classics via the Criterion Channel, HBO Max (when I have it) and occasional disc or digital purchases...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
And don't forget there's already tons of competition in the streaming bizz too. Hard to tell how well a service for such a niche can possibly do -- the "opportunity" to go it (successfully) on their own may simply not be very real given all that...

_Man_

Capt D McMars

Movie Explorer
Premium
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I don't know, but they perhaps just don't think there's enough demand for them to jump into that arena on their own...

Actually, didn't they already try that or partner w/ others like Warner beyond HBO Max (to be able to know about the demand)?

Streaming in general seems to appeal more to a (relatively) younger market/demographic, which probably isn't exactly TCM's turf -- of course, there are exceptions like those of us on HTF... and personally, I already get my fill of the classics via the Criterion Channel, HBO Max (when I have it) and occasional disc or digital purchases...

_Man_
HBO Max has titles from TCM but the advantage of the live stream are the insights and stories behind the films that are offered that is not preasent on the HBO Max hub.
I have almost 4000 titles so for me movies are a big thing, but I enjoy aboiut the live feed are the intros, stories and spotlighted features that TCM has always been know for. I just don't want to be harnessed to any cable or cable-eque format, in order to aquier TCM, but that's me.

As far as demgraphics, there are 1000s that have cut the cable and are looking to fina a way to aquire their channels lost by doing this...I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
A lot of linear cable channels have licensed the content they air solely for linear transmission and/or solely for their cable subscribers so the lack of a stand-alone app may in part be due to the complexity of such agreements.

Capt D McMars

Movie Explorer
Premium
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
And don't forget there's already tons of competition in the streaming bizz too. Hard to tell how well a service for such a niche can possibly do -- the "opportunity" to go it (successfully) on their own may simply not be very real given all that...

_Man_
What I'm preposing is to add the app in addition to thier exsiting presence in "cable world", not droping out and just doing a standalone streaming app. To do Both, test the waters and see and make adjustments accordingly...senceable and progressive and maybe, just maybe even successful?!!

Capt D McMars

Movie Explorer
Premium
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
A lot of linear cable channels have licensed the content they air solely for linear transmission and/or solely for their cable subscribers so the lack of a stand-alone app may in part be due to the complexity of such agreements.
licenseing agreements can be modified, especially with a company like TCM. Companies, like people don't like to move outside of their comfort zones. This doesn't mean that it's outside the realm of possibilities, right?

Capt D McMars

Movie Explorer
Premium
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I'd check what Sling TV offers, if that's not too expensive (and offers interested bundle) -- get either their Orange or Blue bundle for $35 and add their Hollywood Extra for another $6 to get the TCM channel (and a few other movie channels) included.

You'd basically get a small-ish, cable-like bundle that way...

_Man_
thanks, but you've just made my point!! I don't want any Bundles, in an ala carte world that mindset is prehistoric!! You can have your channel and watch it too, it just takes time...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
licenseing agreements can be modified, especially with a company like TCM. Companies, like people don't like to move outside of their comfort zones. This doesn't mean that it's outside the realm of possibilities, right?

You make it sound like it’s a simple process but it’s not. Subscription streaming has rose to prominence in the middle of an existing landscape and there are lots of existing agreements that have to play out before new agreements can be made. It’s the reason, for instance, that Warner’s Harry Potter films appear on Universal’s Peacock service - Universal signed something like a twenty year deal for broadcast and streaming rights to those films before either company had a streaming service. Warner would love for Harry Potter to be exclusive to their service but that can’t happen until the existing deal expires. In ten years the landscape will be simplified as prior agreements expire but for now, it’s a transitory state.

On a separate but not unrelated note, if the comments from Warner Discovery’s CEO are any indication of the general streaming marketplace - and I believe they are - the issue becomes that niche streaming outlets that service a single interest haven’t been doing well, and the overhead costs have exceeded the revenue grossed. It’s essentially the same issue with why you can’t individually select a cable channel when getting cable - they’re not all profitable individually but in the aggregate, they are. TCM as a cable channel wouldn’t be profitable if the only people who paid for it were the people who watched it. It’s profitable because they get paid for each cable subscriber whether or not they watch it individually.

I understand that these realities may not be ideal for each individual’s circumstances but the reality is that licensing costs are expensive and need to be recouped somehow, and individual niche offerings like TCM aren’t successful enough in their own right to subsist solely on individual viewers.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
What I'm preposing is to add the app in addition to thier exsiting presence in "cable world", not droping out and just doing a standalone streaming app. To do Both, test the waters and see and make adjustments accordingly...senceable and progressive and maybe, just maybe even successful?!!

What you're proposing is probably actually a whole lot (and maybe waaaay too much) for a niche provider like TCM. They already have a presumably good enough revenue stream from cable (and cable-like streaming) subscriptions and other licensing agreements to meet most of the demand for their content. It's not exactly low risk/cost for them to also invest in a separate, standalone on-demand streaming app/service of their own on top of what they already do.

Maybe if they see that their existing model will start dying off in the next few years to force them to find some new way forward, but until then, the risk/cost of doing what you want seems very substantial for them.

Most likely, they're best off just partnering w/ some other similar enough content providers (like Criterion Channel perhaps... as I'm aware at least some HTFers, including myself, would like that) and/or some other much-bigger/more-widely-known, already-invested streaming app/service (maybe even someone like Roku w/ their Roku Channels) for new streaming venture. Then, they wouldn't be taking remotely as much startup risk/cost...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

I guess the fact Amazon, et al don't offer a TCM streaming channel off TCM's existing "linear channel" feed (like they seem to do some others, including some very niche ones) is indicative of that likely complication.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rainajgraves
Recent bookmarks