What's new

Netflix Streaming Audio Issues (1 Viewer)

FilmCrazy

Agent
Real Name
Rich
Whenever I am viewing & streaming, specifically Netflix, the dialog sounds very unclear. Dialog is fine when viewing thru cable (xfinity). I use roku. Have a Denon Avr-x1600h receiver and Bowers & Wilkins left and right speakers. Center speaker is Canton. I many times need to use CC to watch something. What can I do to fix this? Thanks.
Had this same problem with HBO max.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
How is the Roku connected to your system? To the TV or the receiver? Is this different from how the cable is connected? When streaming, is dialog (or anything) coming from the center speaker?

FilmCrazy

Agent
Real Name
Rich
How is the Roku connected to your system? To the TV or the receiver? Is this different from how the cable is connected? When streaming, is dialog (or anything) coming from the center speaker?
Roku is connected to the tv. Dialog doe come thru the center speaker when streaming.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Roku is connected to the tv. Dialog doe come thru the center speaker when streaming.

Digital output format- Stereo
Both of these are potential problems, especially the output format. I don't know anything about Roku settings, but Todd does.

Ideally the Roku should be connected to the receiver, but that won't make any difference if the output setting is not correct.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Audio settings are a bit different depending on the model. In most cases, it should be set for Auto or Passthrough.

What is the name and model number of your Roku device?

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
It should be set to Passthrough. Also, if you can, move the Roku from the TV to the receiver as John recommended.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Audio- Menu Volume- High
Streaming audio format- auto
Digital output format- Stereo
Menu Volume: whatever you prefer, has no bearing
Streaming Audio Format: Auto
Digital Output Format: Passthrough (do not use Auto on this setting, as it will send everything to the receiver with the Dolby Atmos flag turned on, even PCM 2.0 audio, and stereo will playback with no option to turn on Dolby Surround on the receiver).

FilmCrazy

Agent
Real Name
Rich
Menu Volume: whatever you prefer, has no bearing
Streaming Audio Format: Auto
Digital Output Format: Passthrough (do not use Auto on this setting, as it will send everything to the receiver with the Dolby Atmos flag turned on, even PCM 2.0 audio, and stereo will playback with no option to turn on Dolby Surround on the receiver).
I set the digital output format to Passthrough then I moved the hdmi connection from the tv to the receiver. I cannot find roku on the tv. Is there something else that I need to do.
Thanks.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
1. What input is the Roku plugged into on the receiver?
2. What input is the receiver plugged into on the TV?
3. When watching Roku, what input is selected on your receiver and what input is selected on your TV? These selections should match with questions 1 and 2.

FilmCrazy

Agent
Real Name
Rich
1. What input is the Roku plugged into on the receiver?
2. What input is the receiver plugged into on the TV?
3. When watching Roku, what input is selected on your receiver and what input is selected on your TV? These selections should match with questions 1 and 2.
The cable box out-to-tv is plugged into the TV HDMI-in. The blu Ray hdmi-out is plugged into the TV HDMI-in. The receiver monitor is plugged into the TV. Currently, the roku hdmi is plugged into the TV HDMI (4). When I press the input button on the tv remote, the tv display shows ‘Roku hdmi 4’. The sound is muddled with this setup. If I plug the roku into one of the 5 hdmi input in the receiver, I cannot access roku on the tv screen- it is not displayed,

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
You may not like this, but I would recommend pulling everything out from the TV and hook everything up to the receiver. This is how most of us have our systems set up.

1. The HDMI Out on the receiver should be connected to HDMI-1 on the TV.
2. Plug the cable box to HDMI- (Cable/Sat) on the receiver
3. Plug the Blu-ray into HDMI-3 (Blu-ray) on the receiver
4. Plug the Roku into HDMI-4 (Media Player) on the receiver

Leave the HDMI input setting on the TV to HDMI-1 and use the receiver remote to select the input you want Cable, Blu-ray, Roku).

Let me know how this works.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks