What's new

STRDE985 or help with DTS ES/ Dolby EX (1 Viewer)

JasonKZ

Stunt Coordinator
I just received the new STRDE985 as a prize on a Sony promotion, and I am a little confused as to how good this receiver is.
Specs are at:
http://www.sonystyle.com/electronics...d=37632&type=p
My main question is that it says it does Dolby Digital EX, which I take to mean it will perform a matrix rear center channel. This receiver also does DTS but it doesn't list ES decoding. As it has 6 distinct channels, I am wondering, does this mean it won't decode a discrete 6th channel on DTS-ES encoded titles?
Thanks in advance for any help!

Mike Bledsoe

Stunt Coordinator
Dear Jason
I would think that the only way that you are going to find out if your receiver will decode DTS ES/DISCREET is to find a DVD incoded with this format and see what happens when you hook it up. Most likely if it does not say it decodes DTS ES/DICREET it probably does not.

Mike Bledsoe

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor
The logo on the receiver is really tough to make out, but it looks like the standard DTS logo, not the DTS-ES logo.

Gary Kellerman

Stunt Coordinator
The specs did not indicate the receiver doing DTS-ES matrix.
This would imply that the sixth channel is used for Dolby-EX matrix only and possibly some 6th channel sounds from their cinema DSPs. I think you will have to try GLADIATOR on your receiver to see exactly what it does. The way the specs are listed, it sounds like it does just a little more than the OUTLAW 1050.

JasonKZ

Stunt Coordinator
I will check it out this evening. Thanks to everyone for your help - I appreciate it.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It is matrix only, not discrete. The DE line is known for poor amplification, and I would expect the new models to be no different. Take the prize, sell it or trade it in, and get something good, IMO. At an MSRP of $499, there are quite a few good receivers from Marantz, Denon, Onkyo and Harmon Kardon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks