What's new

STRDE695S............. good? (1 Viewer)

RyanSoares

Stunt Coordinator
i trust you guys will give me a good opinion so i want to know what you think of this sony reciever it has everything i could want

100 watts x 6 discrete power output 10Hz to 70kHz frequency Bandwidth Dolby Digital Dolby Digital EX Dolby ProLogic® II dts ES Discrete 6.1 dts ES Matrix 6.1 dts Neo:6 5.1 Multichannel Blue LED 32 bit/64 bit resolution High Speed Sony DSPs Digital Cinema Sound Cinema Studio EX A/B/C mode 96/24 bit PCM Capability Sub Woofer Pre-Out Speaker A/B, A+B Button HDTV Interface supports 1080i HDTV pass through and switching with 80MHz in bandwidth Banana Screw Speaker Terminals New Easy Front Panel Design
control A1 II Sound Field Link re-programmed Remote Control
the link to more specs is at sony style .ca home audio, receivers, STRDE695S

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to HTF, Ryan. FYI, the Basics area is for asking about essential stuff. For model-specific questions about receivers, post here. Thanks, and have fun.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
One word answer: NO.

Look at the offerings from Marantz, Harman Kardon, Onkyo, and Denon in your price range.

JamesCB

Second Unit
One word answer: NO.
I would have to agree. If you want to stay with Sony, look into the ES components. That is not ES.

On a side note, the newer ES receivers have digital amps, not quite sure how they rate. Digital amps are a new technology for them. Do some shopping, you may find good deals on previous ES receivers(4ES, 5ES, 7ES, etc.)

Happy hunting.

RyanSoares

Stunt Coordinator
ok maybe they don't rate as good as the brands you mentioned but i don't know why, like what is the downfall, will they only last a certain amount of months is the build quality inferior? does the DD and DTS sound like shit or has that just been general opinion for such a long time that it's written in stone and there's no going back? i live in an apartment and can't really have the volume loud, i don't see from the specs what is wrong and i used to work at the sony store years ago where i sold there non ES amps all the time with no problems, i'm pretty sony biased, i just wanted another opnion

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You asked.

No, Sony's don't seem to have a lot of problems. In fact they last a long time. To me, the entire family of DE receivers suffers from very average DACs and sub standard amplification within their price points. All you have to do is listen to one next to a comparably priced unit from any of the manufacturer's I listed to hear the difference for yourself. As a former Sony receiver owner, I can say this without a second thought.

Their ES line is quite good, but at their price point, there is even greater competition.

John Morton

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a pretty dedicated Sony fan also. I've only seen 1 failure and it was a DOA. I had another unit on my doorstep the next morning (thanks again ONECALL.COM!!).

To me you have to ask yourself 2 questions:
1) what price do I want to pay
2) How critical are my listening needs ;-)

1) cost IS a problem, I'd go with a DB (renamed to QS?)
2) cash is available = get an ES component

However, that being said. I have a STR-DB930 which I chose OVER a 777-ES. Cost wasn't an issue for me. I listend to both for 2 weeks and I have never been disapointed with my choice. I just prefered the sound of the DB930 over the 777 in my room with my other components and speakers.

That also being said, it does frustrate me that Sony has so many different lines and peices of equipment in each line. But that's the planet we live on. They all do it. Let your ears and wallet lead the way.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have a STR-DB930 which I chose OVER a 777-ES
What speakers were you listening to and what was connected to it? There should have been a significant difference between the DACs of these two, with the 777 on top. I am very surprised at that outcome. I have a friend with a 930, and it sounded no different from my 815, which was disappointing.

I will continue to purchase Sony products (I am waiting for my new WEGA :D ) but receivers will likely not be among those purchases (maybe used for a great price).

James_SCEA

Agent
Ryan,

To answer you question regarding build quality with the STRDE series.... it is not that great. One of the greatest things that impacts the performance duration of a receiver is the dissapation of heat.

The STRDE series has two peice heat sinks. Basically, it uses thin aluminum peices that are mounted to an aluminum backing. Most "high end" receivers that have to meet rigorous standards at high volumes will have to dissapate high levels of heat; this is acheived by using one machined aluminum heat sink that is way thicker.

Keep this in mind when shopping for a receiver, you can look into the slotted casing on the top of the receiver and easily spot the quality of the heat sinks, as well as the type of power supply (torroidal vs. IE).

Happy shopping!
JC :D

John Morton

Stunt Coordinator
John G. I was extremely surprised also. I have the following:

Front: Infinity RS-5s
Rear: Infinity RS-5s
Center: Infinity CC-3
Sub: Infinity HPS-1000
Sony 650d? 5 disk DVD changer
Sony 36" Wega

I'm in the process of building a new house (with a dedicated HT room baby!!) and sold the wega. I'll be moving the DB-930 and DVD player to another room in my new house. I'll then be getting new.

Shiu

Second Unit
John, the DB930 actually has some good reviews, here's is one:

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/test...TR-DB930.shtml

Apparently even its 5 channel driven power rating was very closed to its two channel rating. I wonder if your disappointing experience with the 930 has something to do with the impedance selector switch that most DB/ES units has at the back. I remember seeing reports that it is best left in the 8 ohm position even if the speakers used are 4 ohms. In the 4 ohm position the unit simply lower the output rail voltage.

Ryan, if you decided to stick with Sony, the 1000ES does not cost that much more than the top DE models. Simply compare the weights of the 1000ES and the DE9XX model and you will see the difference is obvious.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Whenever I see peoples reasons to not recommend a Sony ES receiver, I am questioning their reasons, and they seem like a kneejerk reaction to 'Sony' and not the product.

Stelios

Stunt Coordinator
Kenneth Harden I agree with you about the reasons for people not to recommend Sony ES receivers.
I quote below some words from another excellent reviewer. Interesting reading!

"...Its sad, but there are some people out there who are just simply Audio snobs and they refuse to even consider that Sony can make a piece of equipment that could satisfy their ultra refined tastes. These are the folks who will just not own a piece of Audio equipment unless it is made by Audio Research and connected with $2,000/ft NBS wiring.

Well, this Sony fan has heard their coveted AR equipment and I consider it to have an over analytical presentation, but that's just my opinion.

Its has been my experience that for the price of Sony ES grade equipment you will have to spend at least 3-4 times as much money to get an incremental increase in sound quality. Of course if you spend 10 times as much you can get much better sound, but then that could be said of most any product or brand..."

Stelios

JackS

Supporting Actor
IMO, ES components are a baseline value on which all other components in the same price range should be measured against. Would this mean that everyone would choose the ES gear over anything else? Of course not. We buy what we like and use our own personal perception of what is truly the best wheather others agree or not. I'm currently using a four year old STRDA-777es as a pre-amp coupled to a pair of Aragon amps and two Norh monoblocks. For me, this is a perfect combo giving me the best of all worlds minus the 6.1/7.1 abilities of the newer gear now available. I don't miss those formats and I'm not yet swayed to upgrade because I don't beleive todays modern products are any better than the same products produced years ago. My rec- always look at ES then buy what you really like wheather it's ES or something else. With only a couple of exceptions, ES is a value among price conscious shoppers who want a little more than the mass market has to offer.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Get bright speakers.... To say Sony Power Amps are laid back would be an understatement.

John Morton

Stunt Coordinator
Shiu - Thanks for the info. You mis-read though. I was dissapointed with the 777 (could have been ME though - I know it is one of the best ever). I LOVE WITH MY 930 and agree 100% with the review you supplied.

TravisKH
- ES is Sony's high end gear. Better build, better components, ect.
- DB/QS is Sony's mid end gear. Slightly better build, some better components, ect.
- DE is Sony's low end gear (for a small budget).

I personally am getting tired of people saying Sony is sub standard. Every MFG has equip for every budget. It's relative and not fair to compare one budget point to another no matter what the mfg is.

Shiu

Second Unit
What speakers were you listening to and what was connected to it? There should have been a significant difference between the DACs of these two, with the 777 on top. I am very surprised at that outcome. I have a friend with a 930, and it sounded no different from my 815, which was disappointing.
John Morton, sorry but I was referring to John Garcia's comment. I should have noticed that there are two Johns here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks