What's new

Strda7es, Best Authorized/unauthorized Price? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ery

Stunt Coordinator
After posting best available new unit prices, what else should I look at for the same price and how would these 2 units compare to one another?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, the best prices on Sony ES receivers, as far as authorized dealers are concerned, can be had through Oade Bros. (1-229-228-0093 or 1-229-228-4480), OneCall (1-800-340-4770), and J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180). Note that the 'DA7ES (retail price $2300) and 'DA4ES (retail price $1000) are the same receiver. The only difference is the remote. Is the touchscreen LCD remote included with the 'DA7ES really worth the cost difference to you? The 'DA4ES remote looks to be quite good. Also, you could get a 'DA4ES and a Pronto universal remote for much less than a 'DA7ES will cost you.

If you decide to look at the 'DA4ES, also take a look at the Denon AVR-3802 (soon to be replaced by the '3803), as well as models by Marantz, Onkyo (Integra), and Yamaha. I haven't compared all of these receivers, but these brands all have a good following here, and all of them are worthy of an audition. You will have to decide which one sounds best to you.

Jeff Ery

Stunt Coordinator
Actually Jeff, I'm quite familiar with the other gear mentioned,It's just that I have the opportunity to pick up a 7es NIB w/full 5 yr ES warranty FOR $750 ...AND the third zone out is attractive to me for my whole house system design and if I get this piece I want to know what it fetches through regular channels .....I may also go with a B and K AVR307 , WHICH I can also get for a good price and get the upgrade later on.....the EQing , notch filtering, etc holds some promise for me in regards to correcting certain room problems my brothers RTA has discovered...
THANKS, Jeff

Greg Schwabacher

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff, if you can get a 'DA7ES for $750, go for it! I got my 'DA4ES from Oade Bros. for $720 shipped, so $750 is a great price!

FWIW, I've had experience with Sony's touchscreen remotes before (my 'DA50ES has one) and, if that's any indication, the 'DA7ES remote really isn't worth much. Of course, it's very probable that Sony has improved their touchscreen remotes since my 'DA50ES was the current model. Also, I used the remote that was supplied with my 'DA4ES long enough to set it up, and then I programmed my Pronto to duplicate the commands I needed. The 'DA4ES remote, while adequate, is no Pronto, and has since been relegated to my storage bin. I guess what I'm saying is that you shouldn't let the remote sway your decision...

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Yeah, that's pretty cheap. If that's local, let me know. I live in northern VA as well. I was looking at the DA4ES last weekend.

Greg Schwabacher

Stunt Coordinator
Shoot, I'd like to know, too. I'm originially from Northern Virginia and could easy have family pick one up for me.

Jeff Ery

Stunt Coordinator
My brother works in the buisness and Sony is making them available on salespersons accomadation to clear them out...
He doesn't need it....

Patrick TX

Stunt Coordinator

SO not true. The DA7 is 120WPC, while the DA4 is 110WPC. The DA7 is 3 zone, the DA4 is 2 zone. The DA7 has 12 pre-amp outputs, the DA4 has 10. The remote is learning on the DA7, pre-programmed on the DA4.

Greg Schwabacher

Stunt Coordinator
SO not true. The DA7 is 120WPC, while the DA4 is 110WPC. The DA7 is 3 zone, the DA4 is 2 zone. The DA7 has 12 pre-amp outputs, the DA4 has 10. The remote is learning on the DA7, pre-programmed on the DA4.
True, there are minor differences other than the remote, but certainly not enough (IMHO) to warrant a $1300 difference in MSRP. Maybe $200-$300, not $1300.

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
True, there are minor differences other than the remote, but certainly not enough (IMHO) to warrant a $1300 difference in MSRP. Maybe $200-$300, not $1300.
Ya...the $1300 MSRP difference is so that DA7ES owners will truly believe that they got a lot of extra features that are worth the difference in price. But hey, if you gotta have it, you gotta have it!;)
Yep, nothing like paying $1300 more for features that, from a performance/feature standpoint are worth only a third of that. I'm just making up these figures but you guys get the point...:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks