StrDa4es and Str Da5es ... Which one?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EdwinM, Feb 12, 2003.

1. EdwinM

EdwinM Extra

I am trying to make a decision between the 2 of these receivers, however, I find it quite difficult in deciding which way to go. I may be able to still get my hands on either of these within the next few days, so I need some down to earth advice as soon as possible.

Sony DA4es suggested list price in Canada: $1499.00
    DA5es lists for $1599.00

However, I know that I would be able to negotiate a better price with cash purchase etc. Someone told me that I may be able to get the Da4es for about $1000-$1100 canadian. The DA5es for about $1200-$1250...inclusive of all taxes.

I have read a lot of difference of opinions about these 2 receivers etc. Humming from the 4es and so forth. 5es unable to play certain DVD's properly without a firmware update etc.

I have already downloaded the firmware update, just to be prepared.

Well, experts, what is your opinion(s)

Thanks in advance for your input to this topic.

2. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Edwin,

While I am definitely not an expert, I am a DA5ES owner. I love this machine. It will not play DTS 96/24(I think those are the numbers)nor will it supply power to a 7.1 system as compared to the newer DA4ES. The remote IMHO sucks as well(I use an MX-500)! But these do not matter to me because I only have space for a 5.1 system. I have DVD-Audio and SACD so the DTS thing is not important either. The power and separation on this beast is awesome. I bought mine last March at a local Ultimate Electronics for $950.00. I have not had any issues with this receiver and mine is on approximately 15 hours a day :b Judging that the DA4ES con be delivered for under 700.00 to me is a no brainer. If you cannot get the DA5ES for significantly less than the new DA5ES, I would get the newer DA4ES. I also would urge you to A/B compare if you can! Over all performance you can not loose, especially with the
    es warranty. Good Luck, let us know what you will do!
    Also you may want to check out this thread. It has SOME relevant info;
    read cautiously

3. Alex Dydula

Alex Dydula Stunt Coordinator

DA4ES....should be a no brainer here...

A.

4. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

I vote for the 5ES, especially if you don't need 7 channels...Superior amping if you don't have external and superior processing quality. But Dan's right...sucky remote.

5. terence

terence Supporting Actor

They are both GREAT machines i had the same problem like you but since i have a dedicated room for home theater and i can do 7.1 i went w/ the 4ES. When i compared the 4ES to the 5ES, i could not hear any differnce between the two.

It will mostly come down to what will best suit your needs, good luck either way you can't loose.[​IMG]

6. EdwinM

EdwinM Extra

Hi guys, thanks for the input so far. I have seen the remote that comes with the DA5es. I am not sure if its the same you all have. This one has a large lcd panel, a flip panel... its 2way communication and learning remote. Plus included is another remote. So alltogether it comes with 2 Remotes.

Still am undecided because the difference in price is negligable.

What would be the difference if I play SACD's and DVDAudio with this DA5es vs the 4es?

7. EdwinM

EdwinM Extra

I have even began to think about the HK 525. This is Rated at 70watts/channel 7.1 etc etc. I guess you people know all the specifications etc.

How would this compare to the 5es/4es... and again which would be a better by if I can get either for around the same price or slight difference? How would the sony's and HK handle towers rated at 250watts?

Thanks again.

8. terence

terence Supporting Actor

9. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

10. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

11. EdwinM

EdwinM Extra

Well, I have finally came to the decision and got the DA5ES.

Thanks for all the input.