stray signals

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by James>K, Mar 28, 2004.

1. James>K

James>K Auditioning

hi all ,

I hope this is the correct place to poast this . If not MODS please put it where is belongs .

I have my setup working GREAT , thanx to the knowledge base on this forum , and the guy I bought the receiver also from this forum . I think I have followed all the basic rules .

My question :

Last I was watching a pay per view movie , and had the HT reciever working , I got some stray audio from a CB radio (or Ham) intermitantly . This is the firat time this has happened since I setup my system , been working great for about 2 months now . I switched off the HT receiver and tried stereo straight from the TV and no stray signals were heard . What have I done wrong ? How do I fix it ?

dumb question of the day

thanx

2. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Hello James,

Perhaps you didn't do anything wrong at all.

Stray radio signals (mostly from nearby and strong AM stations) can indeed enter any "open" amplifier (i.e. if there's an input to which nothing is connected, but the volume is not off). This is caused by slight asymmetries in the circuitry, leading to 'rectification' of the signal.

I wonder though, if that's the cause here. More probably the ppv channel is not fully clean and carries some radio HT signals. You have to make sure you're using good, shielded cable, so it cannot pick up any stray signal. But if that doesn't help, your cable company may be the culprit.

Cees

3. James>K

James>K Auditioning

hello and thanx for the info , at least what I could understand .. LOL ..
    "slight asymmetries in the circuitry, leading to 'rectification' of the signal." woa , way deep lol

Interesting thoughts about the ppv signals .I will get some better quality cables and see what happens .

again thanx

J

4. James>K

James>K Auditioning

Hi again

update on the stray CB siganls

I have upgraded all of my cables and speaker wires (very expensive). I also contacted my Cable company about this issue , they said there was nothing wrong with their equipment and suggested that it was my equipment but as a PR favor they replaced my box .

I am still having an issue with this problem . We were watching a movie last nite and the volume was set fairly high then the CB chatter happened , VERY VERY loud at least 2x the volume of the movie volume . It freaked everybody .

What is the next course of action for me ? The annoyance is one thing , the other is I'm afraid it will blow up my speakers .

thanx