"Straw Dogs" SE in Region 1?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Graham, Aug 25, 2002.

1. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Supporting Actor

Caught this film on a Canadian movie station a few months back, (Showcase), and was simply amazed by how brutal, unflinching, violent and bold this 1970s film was. I recently purchased the DVD that was released by Anchor Bay a few years back.
    Looking into the film being banned in the UK, I found the ban has been lifted concerning the longer cut of the film, and this has lead to a whole list of supplements being produced for a R2 special editon.
    My question is, is there even the slightest chance of R1 getting an SE? Anchor Bay is notorious for releasing titles over and over again, but I would definitely purchase this title again for a decent amount of supplements (and cleaning the mono track of its clicks and pops) along with an anamorphic transfer. However, I certainly hope the SE retains the basic cover art of the Region 1 release, as seen here:
    http://us.imdb.com/ImageView?u=http%...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
    and not the Region 2 art :
    http://www.r2-dvd.org/article.jsp?se...articleId=4545
    But then again this is just a combination of wishful thinking and nitpicking. However, as of this moment, I recommend anyone remotely interested in this disturbing film to either rent or buy it, as this is the best way to see it in North America. Be aware however, that the film depicts some incredibly brutal scenes of violence against women which are extremely disturbing (and scenes of this kind should always be shocking).
    Anchor Bay, I await your verdict!

2. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    Isn't some unexperienced hack doing a remake of this movie under a hideous new title?

I can imagine Anchor Bay releasing a special edition around the time when the remake comes out. Compared with other studios, I think Anchor Bay isn't one to let such an opportunity slide away (like Paramount with the Clancy movies).

3. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

4. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

I am looking forward to purchase this r2 SE
    [​IMG]

5. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey Stunt Coordinator

I'm not so sure that the UK release will be a longer cut, more that its at last the uncut version as included on the original R1 release.

6. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

Yes, it is the same version as on Anchor Bay's disc - it is the lengthening of the second rape that the BBFC found "morally acceptable".

7. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    Edward Norton is the actor. The director is the guy who directed Swimfan.

8. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Supporting Actor

Just to clarify, the uncut version (118 minutes compared to an edited 113 minutes) is available on the 1999 Anchor Bay Region 1 disc; the R2 special edition will contain the same cut of the film for the reasons stated above.