Strategy game

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Holadem, May 9, 2003.

1. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I have been out of the gaming loop (both PC and PS) for about 4 years now, so please bear with me.

What are some good, oldish strategy games out there? The last few I played and liked were C&C, Warcraft II, Starcraft, Homeworld (absolutely fantastic game) and Sid Meir's Alpha Centauri. Note that SMAC is the only turn based game I tried, and I struggled with it because I never fully understood the rules. I was into hardcore flight sims (Falcon 4 was and probably still is the best so far ahead of it's time it was) so I believe I am a reasonably intelligent guy... [​IMG]

Anyway, what is out there that I should try? As fun as Warcraft was, I prefer a modern or futuristic battle field. Now I specified oldish because 1) I have a budget system P2.2, integrated sound and video (although I have a voodoo banshee card lying around [​IMG]) and 2) I am not ready to fork out more than $20 or so for a game like I used to. Cheap I know, but remember, I am coming from a long layoff, and just want to ease back into things without taxing the wallet! I have never been one to be impressed by graphics and such, so surely, there must have been a couple of great offering while I was away?

While we are at it, it seems the hardcore strategy guys prefer turn based, anyone cares to tell me why?

Thanks!

--
    Holadem

2. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Hmmm... OK, not much of a PC crowd here I guess [​IMG]

--
    Holadem

3. DwightK

DwightK Second Unit

PC is fun as well. Just that RtCW is fresh and fun for the xobx.

For RTS, I still prefer Total Annihialation and Starctaft in the not fantasy setting. Starcraft is easier to hook up online to play others but in my book TA is a better game.

For Turn-based my favorite will always be X-com UFO Defense and Terror from the Deep. Next would be any Heroes of Might and Magic (fantasy setting though). The newer x-coms suck though. There is a legal way to get xcom that plays on modern computers but I can't remember the link. I do not particularly like Civ, SMAC, etc. type games nor do I like any of the Command and Conquer games. To each his own I guess.

As for your last stance/question, I think that discussion lies in the difference between the definitions of "Strategy" and "Tactics" and their nuances. Some folk like to ponder their moves ala chess and others prefer a faster thinking approach.

4. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

At the moment not many will be posting here. I just left after 3 hours of playing RTCW and there were still 15 others from here playing

capt

5. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

For RTS, I'd recommend getting a copy of Red Alert 2. It's one of my favorite RTS games and IMO gets just about everything right.

You might also want to look into something like one of the Total War games for something that's a little different.

Turn based I don't really play, but you can get Civ 3 for a pretty good price, one of Sierra's simish games from Impressions (Pharoah, Zeus, Caesar 3 etc), or I've heard good things about Moonbase Commander.

6. Aaron Schmitt

Aaron Schmitt Stunt Coordinator

I've been playing a lot of C&C Generals lately (made by the RA2 team I believe). Think of it as 3d RA2 with modern weapons.
    Also check out Warcraft 3, since you listed WC2 and SC, and Red Alert 2 with the Yuri's Revenge expansion.

Rise of Nations is a new game coming out in a couple of weeks that combines some elements of turn based into an RTS. It looks pretty good, there should be some reviews starting to pop up on the 'net soon for that one.

Aaron

7. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

8. Aaron Schmitt

Aaron Schmitt Stunt Coordinator

My first impression of generals wasn't all that great either. It took some time to get used to the changes from previous C&C games. I compared it to RA2 in that the game play is fast and furious, most multiplayer matches don't last a long time. The AI is slightly improved from RA2 as well, but it's still basically survive the initial rush and you should be able to win in skirmishes. So while it's not quite the overall fun experience that RA2 is, it's still fun to blow stuff up using modern weapons (with none of the cheesy mind control/time travel/tesla weapon stuff from RA2 not that that stuff is all bad, it's just nice to have a break from it).

The generals recommendation may not work anyway, as it does require a pretty good video card to run smoothly.

Holadem: Red Alert 2 with the Yuri's Revenge expansion can be had for about 20 bucks most places. Graeme and I can both agree that game is really fun [​IMG] Another one you may want to check out, if you're a Star Wars fan, is Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds. It's made by the guys who made the Age of Empires games, it's a little more in depth, but has some good tutorials to get you started. Heck Age of Empires 1 and 2 are both great games as well, and both can be had for under $20, maybe even under $10.

Aaron

9. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Thanks guy. You know, I think I am gonna go dig up my old stuff, and get back into that way. I had totally forgotten, I do OWN Starcraft, SMAC, Age of Empire II, Homeworld. Might be time to give em another spin before I get out there [​IMG]

Meanwhile, I have been hearing good things about GalCiv.

What is RtCW?

--
    Holadem

10. Allen_Appel

Allen_Appel Second Unit