What's new

Strategies for "surviving" Trilogy Tuesday (LOTR)? (1 Viewer)

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I absolutely cannot do this. I don’t understand how people could go through 10 hours of theater viewing no matter how much a fan or fanatic they are! I’m already making a big exception to go and see ROTK at the theaters. I rarely go to the movies anymore.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Careful with eating candies and other sugar-infested snacks. It can act as a diuretic in some cases (ie. ice cream and other stuff that has lactose aka milk sugar in it).

Don't drink pop, just water. Soda pop makes you pee a lot, with all the sugar and caffeine. Coffee is likewise a really bad idea. However, if you're a caffeine addict, you may have to have a little to keep those caffeine-addict headaches at bay.

Shane S.

Stunt Coordinator
I just want to take this time to say to those of you that were lucky (or smart enough not to call a frined when you should have been ordering).
I hope you stubb your toe on the foot end of the bed!.
Well not really, but I am really jealous.

Ok from a guy who worked 12 hour shifts at night for a year and a half let me help with some tips. firstly lets be honest sitting in a theater for 12 hours is probably not going to dehydrate you so you shouldn't need to drink much. But if you need a drink go with water its less of a diaretic. If you need caffiene take some excederine seriously, it works. And move your feat and flex your legs..otherwise common sense should dictate the rest.

If you really feel that way I don't recommend the military, or any locker rooms...seriously what are you afraid of?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
After watching TTT:EEE this afternoon, I now know that you could not pay me to sit in a theater for 11 hours for the LOTR trilogy. It may seem like a good idea at the time, but once you actually do it, I think the cinematic fatigue is going to impede many people's enjoyment of ROTK.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
How much fluid can those urine bags hold? Maybe you'll need to strap two bags on each leg. :)

I can imagine what an usher would be thinking at the end of the marathon. "What's that sloshing noise I keep hearing?" :D

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I hope people know what Catheters are. They're not fun from what I've heard, and I've heard drunk people testimony. :)

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
While I love the idea of seeing the entire trilogy back to back, and if I had the chance, I probably would, I do have to agree with what Patman says... I'd be afraid I might be fatigued enough by the time ROTK came around that I might enjoy it less. And I love the films, whereas Patman seems a bit more ambivalent about them.

Hope you guys survive and dont have a sore ass before ROTK starts!! :D

Brian

Kami

Screenwriter

Well, there are some out there that like the films more than you I guess....cause no one had to pay me. I paid them. :)

Hmm, lotta negative flak in this thread, no? Just let the people who are going enjoy it. We know what we got ourselves into.
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
MikeRR: Since this is my first time going to a midnight showing, does anyone have any advice on how I should plan it? How early should I get there?
We went to the midnight showing of TTT last year, and got to the theater around 5. We were the first ones there, but other people started arriving soon after. By 10, the lobby was packed (they had 9 theaters showing the midnight show).

We're probably going to be at the theater around 8:00am on Tuesday, or maybe even earlier. We have to get the right seats (we have 3 locations thought out). If there's anyone in front of us who gets our first 2 choices, we can always go to the front row. Everybody hates the front row, except us. The only time we don't like it is if the screen is so close you can practically touch it. This theater is not like that. We're going there on Monday to do a final scope.

I'll take a lot of ice cubes with me, and suck on them. A water bottle for when I want a swig. I don't drink much pop anyway, so I won't drink any that day. I don't drink coffee, so that's not a problem.

Thanks for all the suggestions, especially Adam_S!

I'm so psyched!

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
It's not something I could do. I need to be able to get up and stretch well before the 3hr point or I get problems in my knee joints. Hope you all enjoy it though, should be a blast! Just hope you don't sit next to someone who smells, eats loudly, talks or is otherwise annoying :)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Yesterday I had to move around in my seat, and for a few times, I felt like I was auditioning for the role of Gollem (movement-wise) as I tried getting into comfortable positions from time to time to keep the blood flow flowing, like turning my back to the screen sideways a bit, or being splayed out, or seated upright, or crossing one leg and then the other, it went on and on.

Now if I knew I could watch the trilogy and had access to a couch or bed, I'd do that, but in those movie theater seats, no way.

Adrenaline can get you through about 4 hours, I suspect, but once hours 8, 9, 10, 11 come around, it's going to take some effort for the last go-around.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I did a simple SW trilogy marathon (in theater) once, and did not enjoy it. Neither did my friends. I'm sure if I were a film critic and had to often watch more than 2 movies back-to-back, that I'd build up resistance to the fatigue.

I have done many triple-features in drive-ins, but with lots of distractions. ;)

Of course, not everyone is the same. But a lot of people will be mentally fatigued by RotK. I don't like mental fatigue when watching a movie I really care about. I suggest doing whatever you can to avoid/reduce that fatigue.

Your eyes will get fatigued as well. This can be partially avoided by not sitting too close.

Any of the rest of you ever done big music festivals (Woodstock, HORDE, Lollapalooza, Bonnaroo, Furthur, etc.)? Did you feel the need to get up and move around and do something else, even if you really liked all of the bands in a several-hour stretch? It is natural, and actually helps your enjoyment of the entertainment.

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
As someone who has attended five films in one day at this year's Vancouver Film Festival, and who normally sees 2-4 films during the weekend, mostly just on Saturday, Trilogy Tuesday will NOT be a problem whatsoever.

Just remember to go to the bathroom between shows, get up and chat with your friends or fellow LOTR fans, go outside and get some air and eat properly, and you should be fine.

Another thing to think about: Two of these films will have been seen already by many people, and the final installment will be the only new film out of the three. Compare this to seeing three 3hr+ films for the first time in one day at a theater. :)

Personally, I can't bloody wait for Trilogy Tuesday. :)

Jason

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
It was a little unusual getting used to, but now I find myself urinating right during delivering packages or conversating with people. What people don't know won't bother them!!!!!!!
Think about that the next time the guy in the little brown truck comes with a package!

They have a Stadium Gal too. :eek:

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I've sat through several triple features in the theater, but with great discomfort. The problem I have is that I'm fairly tall (6'5), so the legroom really becomes an issue. There are certain movie theaters in my neighborhood that I simply do not visit because they don't have enough leg room.

My brother (at 6'10) also suffers from this problem, although he rarely goes to see a movie. Airtravel is particularly painful for us - especially when the flight attendants are less than accomodating.

So, I could easily imagine people seeing the LOTR trilogy... just not me.

Michael Boyd

Second Unit
Okay . . . you guys have scared Clint off from going (and I'm half-way there myself, alhough I've done the film festival thing, just not for 12 hours). I had bought his ticket along with my own so now I have an extra. Few people I know even want to attempt this and those that would are working.

Clint B

Second Unit
Uh, Mike, for the record, I wasn't scared off, but family issues have prevented me from going. But thanks for being a good sport about it.:)

Yes, Mike does now have an extra ticket available. If anyone out there wants to go, contact him. He won't bite, I promise.:D

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Me, the fiancee, and a friend (and maybe another) have the tickets, and we have to drive about an hour to get there !

Personally, I may consider having us take off during some of the parts of TTT that I'm not too enthused with - like sometime during Helm's Deep - if necessary to get a good stretch break.

We're a little worried about getting our seats stolen between shows, and getting stuck in the front row or something. Not sure what we're going to do about that, we will have to scope things out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks