What's new

Strategies for "surviving" Trilogy Tuesday (LOTR)? (1 Viewer)

Clint B

Second Unit
Mods, if it can be helped, please don't close or merge this thread. I'm not asking about the movies themselves, but for different perspectives on how one will "survive" the LOTR marathon. Thanks.
-----
Hi. I'm one of the lucky ones that is going. Even though seeing three movies in one day/night will probably be a new experience for most of us, I'm asking for strategies to get through the marathon with as few problems as possible. Some of my questions below probably sound elementary, but they're genuine concerns. Thanks for your help. Specifically, I'd like to know:

1) What time should I get to the theatre (FOTR EE starts at 1PM and seating begins at 12:15PM)?

2) Considering I'm physically handicapped (but I can go up or down a few stairs with no problems), any thoughts on where I should sit (the theatre that I'm going to has stadium seating and an elevator)?

3) (This question has several parts) I don't want to get dehydrated, but I also don't want to feel like racing to the bathroom in the middle of one of the movies, so how should I manage my liquid intake before and during the marathon? In lieu of drinking a lot, are there any candies, gums, or other small items that I can fit in my pocket that would help quench my thirst? Also, considering it takes me a little longer than most people to get around, should I time my bathroom breaks at the beginning, middle, or end of the breaks between movies?

4) Please refresh my memory--how long are the breaks between movies?

5) Any other tips that you could pass along?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Your health is more important then missing bits and pieces of a film. If your bladder says it's gotta go, heed it.

Candy might help in staving off thirst (I usually eat Skittles or chewy Spree), but it's bad for your body to not have fluids for extended periods of time. Perhaps just sip your drink when your mouth gets dry, but don't drink a lot of it though at any time.

I decided to split up the viewings of FOTR:EE (last Saturday) and TTT:EE (this Saturday), and will see ROTK on Wednesday (I just can't see myself seeing the midnight show and not falling asleep during the 3.5 hour film. Also, after just 3.5 hours of FOTR:EE, I was feeling pretty confined sitting on my butt for that long a time, so I can't imagine doing it 3 times in one day, even with an hour long intermission between the 3 films.

I made it through a tub of popcorn during FOTR:EE, but got a bit sleepy 2.5 hours into the film.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
I know I can't help you--the thought of doing nothing but sitting for almost 10 hours straight is more like torture, less like cinematic heaven.

I honestly dont' know how ANYONE is going to get through it.

My guess is to do all your eating BEFORE you go in, and drink just plain water in a big-ass bottle. And then, whether you feel like you want to or not--go to leak during the slowest parts of Fellowship and the slowest parts of Two Towers. That way your bladder is DEFINITELY empty before the water hits it, and chances are you'll make it through Return of the King without leaving.

..if you manage to stay conscious.

Good Luck.

Kami

Screenwriter
As far as I know, there is a 1 hour break in between. Plenty of time to stretch and recoup.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
if you're worried about dehydration I'd suggest taking a bunch of fresh fruit into the theatre with you. Don't eat candy or popcorn or drink any soft drinks as they'll most likely just accelerate the dehydration. Munch on fresh fruits and drink water or juice. Eat a big salad with lots of greens for lunch and maybe take some fresh veggies to complement the fruit. if you eat lots of sugars or proteins before going in, your body will get very sleepy as it sits there and focuses everything on digestion and storing fat. At the very least, when you're eating try to eat your salad first, and finish with fruit as this will aid in digestion and keep you most alert. Sip water, don't drink a whole bottle at once, and if you're supplementing your diet with enough fruits and salad you shouldn't need as much water that day.

If it were me I'd head to the bathroom after the credits roll, and then use the remaining time to stretch, walk around a little, and chat. But then, I didn't get tickets.

arriving early. if they start admitting at 12:15 I'd try to be at the theatre at 11:00, however if you're physically handicapped, you might get to go to the head of the line anyway. In your position, I'd call the theatre, ask to talk to a manager, and then explain your situation and take his/her advice on when to arrive and what to do about lines/seats after arriving.

Adam

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The odds of being able to bring in fruit, etc is small unless you sneak it into the theater.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
well considering you know the plot of the first two movies and have likely seen them on DVD helps. :D

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
As far as I know, there is a 1 hour break in between. Plenty of time to stretch and recoup.
1 hour seems like too long of a time.

BTW, I'm not quite sure about the peeing strategies. Your body (as its healthy) still makes urine, regardless of how much water you drank or did not drink before. Kidneys work that way.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
1. I'd be there at noon. Pick your seat at 12:15. Shortly before the movie starts, go to the bathroom. If you're with someone else, take turns. If you're by yourself, ask the people next to you to keep an eye on your spot, and leave your coat (with nothing in it) or something else to hold your place. If the theater is in a bad neighborhood, don't leave anything.

2. If there are two exits on each side of the theater, I would sit in the middle. Since these are long movies, I imagine that a lot of people will be taking bathroom breaks in the middle of the movies. It will be annoying to have all kinds of folks climbing over you.
On the other hand, if you need to use the bathroom a lot yourself, it's best to sit close to the exit.

3. I'd simply sip on water. Make sure you eat and drink enough at the beginning of the day. Have a good breakfast and drink enough early in the day, then have a light meal for lunch (like a salad). Don't eat fast/junk food on the day of the show, and also not the day before. Actually, if we all did that *every* day, this country would be a lot healthier.
I would try to go to the bathroom at the beginning AND end of each break. An hour is very long.

I'm not sure about this - maybe someone can chime in: Is it normal to have to urinate sooner when you're drinking something cold? Or even when it's cold outside. Each year around this time, when it starts getting cold, I need to use the bathroom a lot more often, whereas in the summer, even though I drink an awful lot of water every day of the year, I can do with just two visits. I also think that I need to use the bathroom quicker when I'm drinking something ice cold.
If there's any truth to that, maybe ask for just a little bit of ice in your drink instead of having them fill up the cup.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
The level of detail that's going into planning this guy's piss breaks is sort of disturbing, innit? ;)

You'd think we were preparing for a marathon instead of sitting on our twin-cheeks for 12 hours straight.

I suggest freeze-dried foods, protein paste and a catheter/colostomy bag.

VIVA LOTR!!

Shea

Stunt Coordinator
Well when the weather is colder you sweat less, and when you sweat you are getting fluid out that way and won't need to take a leak as much.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I got this from another message board, it's from a doctor:

You do NOT want venous blood stagnating in your legs, and risking formation of a Deep Vein Thrombosis. This could break off, travel to your lung, and kill you, a la Pulmonary Embolism. It would be a bitch should it happen before you even get to ROTK.

A couple of tips for the people going to see the trilogy:
1) Keep your feet moving. Pump them up and down like pushing on an imaginary accelerator from time to time.
2) Walk between movies. Stretch and stand and walk around. For the same reasons as noted above.
3) Sip fluids during the movies. I know many of you will not want to do this, for fear of bathroom breaks, but if you get a bit dehydrated, the risk of thrombosis goes up. Avoid caffiene and alcohol, and you should do ok. Guys, use a condom catheter and a leg bag if you need to. Gals, well just wear a skirt and no panties and bring a re-sealable tupperware container if you really need to.
4) Don't rest the backs of your legs against the metal rim of the seat. Cuts off venous flow, again raising risk of thrombosis.

Print this, clip it out, and put it on the fridge. Review it in the 72 hours prior to December 16th.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
That would be when the 17 flyovers of the great river occur. Everyone yawns at least once at that point, even me
That passage was badly edited and Shore's score falters trying to match it. Definitely pee then. Once the credits are going people are going to be running to the bathroom and you'll have to wait or, worse, have to stand between two men. A definite "guy rules" no-no.

Caffinated sodas can accelerate dehydration. I agree with the stand-up and walk thing. Try to do it once an hour if you possibly can. Get an aisle seat and just walk around the back of the theater.

How did people do this in the days when a quarter bought you two feature films, several serial shorts, cartoons, and newsreels???

MikeRR

Agent
This might be slightly off-topic, but I figure this thread would be an appropriate place to ask anyway.

I'm not going to Trilogy Tuesday (couldn't get tickets), but I am going to the midnight show on Tuesday night. Since this is my first time going to a midnight showing, does anyone have any advice on how I should plan it? How early should I get there? BTW, I'm going to the Cinemark in Valley View (Cleveland), OH, and the screening I'm seeing is already sold out, so it's going to be packed.

PS. Clint, another good way of keeping your mouth watered is sucking on cough drops. Works very well.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Best to get there plenty early. I'd suggest no later than an hour prior. Previous years, plenty of people brought books or cards to play. It gets kind of fun too, depending on the spirits of those in line. Rest assured that the midnight showing always brings the most interesting fans of the films.

Diallo B

Screenwriter
this is a funny thread. a few of the more colorful comments.

I know I can't help you--the thought of doing nothing but sitting for almost 10 hours straight is more like torture, less like cinematic heaven.
by the way, i will be at the midnight show dehydrated but ready to pee with blood clots ready to enter my heart and happy to be at the theatre until 4am.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks