Strangest Spam I have ever received

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Todd Hochard, Jun 29, 2003.

1. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I just got this on my Road Runner email, which I NEVER EVER get spam on (did I say never?[​IMG] )

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I get it at least 3 times a week. It's known as the Nigeria scam, and it's basically sucker bait.

3. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

This has been around for years, and as Jeff stated is a known scam.

4. Chris Derby

Chris Derby Second Unit

5. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

I've also been getting these for a couple of years. They don't give up!

6. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

I once got a nigeria scam letter mailed to me at my work address. How they got my work address is beyond me.

7. andrew markworthy

8. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I love those spams, they are just so hilarious. It reminds me of those MAD Adlibs where you have a form letter with blank spaces and you're supposed to insert < noun > or < adjective > and then after done, you read it out loud and laugh at what is made.... I mean seriously, the hilariousness of the names and the schemes that the author has created to make it sound legit is absolutely superb... I am always halfway off my seat reading them. Most other spam I just delete.

Jay

9. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

You mean out of the 6 Billion or so people in the world...I was chosen to get your money and help your family? This is better than the lottery. Let's see...15% of $30M equals...ZILCH.

Bruce

10. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Andrew, in American "sucker" is a slang term for someone that is easily fooled. "Sucker bait" means something that lures in the suckers.

I'm amazed that there are still people that don't know about this scam. I mean no offense Todd, its just that its been circulating for years and is written up in various articles about spam and online scams all the time, even the latest Scott Adams book has a chapter on this. But just last week I was talking with a coworker who had spent years working for an ISP in tech support and he didn't know about it either. Weird.

I just can't believe that some people look at this e-mail and really believe some friend of their's knows someone in Nigeria with millions of dollars who needs help getting it of the country. The whole premise is just too far-fetched to be believable.

A while back I read an article, I think it was at Something Awful where a guy decided to correspond with the scammer and see what all he could learn about it. The e-mails were pretty funny. The scammer even sent e-mail from two addresses then claimed that a former business partner had access to his e-mail and was trying to cut in on the deal or something, it was bizzarre.

11. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

A sucker is a fish that will eat any bait that you give it.

60 Minutes did an article on the Nigerian scams about a decade ago, and these guys were really sharp, even then. They were forging official documents and creating government offices and positions, and bribing just about every government worker they could get their hands on, and yes, some of the government workers were in on it too. They've even caught some companies that exported cargo there, and never got paid for it. You see, it was an official government transaction...

Glenn

12. Jeff Kleist

13. Chris Derby

Chris Derby Second Unit

14. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I hope no one thinks that I am naive enough to actually have acted on something like this. And, you'll note that I did a Google search BEFORE I posted it here.
    I'd honestly never seen nor heard of it before. It was peculiar, that's all. It also goes to show that, apparently, I'm much better at protecting my email address than most of YOU.[​IMG]

Todd

15. Jeff Kleist

There are thousands that do. In fact the FBI hasa special file on just this scam

16. Tommy Ceez

Tommy Ceez Second Unit

http://www.quatloos.com/brad-c/directory01.htm

This is a hilarious page where the guy basically e-mails these scammers back and leads them into the craziest arrangements. The patience (and bad grammer) of the scammers is amazing.

17. Craig

Craig Second Unit

I love the internet, not only do college girls and bored housewives want to have sex with me, but strangers want to give me millions of dollars!

18. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick
  19. TreyP

TreyP Stunt Coordinator

Hmmm... I have an old bank account with about $10 in it that I don't use anymore but still have it open for no reason... If I ever get one of those emails I may consider toying with them.

20. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

Anyone who responds to one of these will find themselves being asked time and time again for money to expedite this or that, to bribe this or that person, etc. The large amount of money for nothing that supposedly exists at the end of the rainbow is the carrot; the appeal to greed. Once the sucker gets involved with anything that is illegal or can be made to appear illegal, there is also the appeal to fear: fear of discovery and punishment if the process is interrupted. There's also the psychology of loss: the more the sucker loses (cumulatively), the more the sucker thinks he or she must keep "investing" small amounts in order to gain the payoff and recover the previous losses. There is, of course, no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow -- except the pot of gold that the scammers defraud out of the victim.

If the scammers can make it look like they're the ones being wronged, and the spammee is the knight in shining armor, so much the better for luring suckers in. Then the suckers can fool themselves into thinking they're doing it for noble reasons, instead of for more base motives.