What's new

Stranger Than Fiction (1 Viewer)

Josh.C

Second Unit
It will be much clearer when you buy the HD-DVD :). I'm guessing this one will be added to Timobi's Collection.

JC

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover

Actually, Sony Pictures made this...:)...so it will be on BluRay...but for a few select titles I will go ahead and buy the standard def version. This one's too good to pass up.

I'd like to get one more theatrical viewing of this one though.

Looks like it's made $39 million so far.

Josh.C

Second Unit
Yeah, I haven't joined the HD vs. Blue Ray saga yet, so I didn't even consider that it would only be produced in one format.

LONG LIVE SDVD!!!!

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Got in my second viewing of Stranger Than Fiction this evening. Again, all the greatness I felt back in December seeing it theatrically remained. :)

It's always competative to grab a spot on the oscar ballot but this gem really did belong on the screenplay ballot, supporting actress ballot for Maggie, and even some love for Will Ferrell. Not sure who would you bump off though.

Extremely clever, touching, and utterly captivating film. I loved it.

I had it #5 on my 2006 Top 10 list but have moved it up to #4.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

:emoji_thumbsup:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
We saw Stranger than Fiction at the second-run theater--let's hear it for $2 movies! I was expecting a decent movie and it was a bit better than I'd hoped. I call it a 4/5. It was entertaining, quirky, and made good use of Ferrel. I particularly enjoyed the bus scene, with him on the seat in the flexy middle of a double-long bus. It was imaginative, perfectly played, and had a great, weird and normal visual quality.

I also liked that they played it straight with Harold and Prof. Hilbert (Dustin Hoffman) -- that the Hoffman's character, once invested, took Crick seriously and their relationship was played without irony. It maintained the realism (of the surreal) and humanity of Crick. It also made for the nicely done tallying of comic vs tragic moments. I've been tempted to employ that in my own life ;)

Definitely worth a rental now that it's out on video, if you've not seen it.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
finally got around to seeing this. it was pretty much what i expected... from the meager box office totals i wasn't expecting a big laugh movie, nor a stylish auteur type statement. but i enjoyed it. it's not a movie you can really put under the microscope in terms of logic though(the author was writing the life of Crick, but not the actual Crick since the actual Crick was self-aware. how does that work when the actual Crick is presently obsessed with his self-awareness? what Crick was the author writing about?).

the whole time i was thinking Charlie Kaufman, Charlie Kaufman, Charlie Kaufman. but i think he would have come up with a better ending. i don't mind Crick surviving at the end, i just wanted it done a little better. i mean there wasn't really any literary grandeur in Crick saving a kid from a bus - nothing no symbolism or anything like that - i guess that's my biggest nitpick.

funny thing; when Crick finally meets the author halfway through the movie, i thought there would be a reveal that Crick was just a figment. i'm so glad they didn't use that cliche.

Will Ferrell was great in this movie. at no point did i catch him acting.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
just because Charlie Kaufman has been the only person in the last 30 years to write movies that are really and truly science fiction (rather than the 'let's play pretend! YAY' movies that have been called science fiction in that time frame) doesn't give him a monopoly on the genre.

:D

yeah it is 'kaufmanesque' because he does define that particular subgenre of speculative fiction (contemporary-urban fantasy/scifi) but I thought the ending was wonderful and perfect, the whole thing felt more like a frank capra movie than a charlie kaufman movie to me.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Had friends over last night to watch a movie, and the wife recommended Stranger than Fiction as a favorite. I’d never seen it, so bought it digitally from AppleTV.

I throughly enjoyed it. It was a thoughtful, well written, and lightly funny drama with excellent performances from an impressive cast for such a small movie.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
We saw Stranger than Fiction at the second-run theater--let's hear it for $2 movies! I was expecting a decent movie and it was a bit better than I'd hoped. I call it a 4/5. It was entertaining, quirky, and made good use of Ferrel. I particularly enjoyed the bus scene, with him on the seat in the flexy middle of a double-long bus. It was imaginative, perfectly played, and had a great, weird and normal visual quality.

I also liked that they played it straight with Harold and Prof. Hilbert (Dustin Hoffman) -- that the Hoffman's character, once invested, took Crick seriously and their relationship was played without irony. It maintained the realism (of the surreal) and humanity of Crick. It also made for the nicely done tallying of comic vs tragic moments. I've been tempted to employ that in my own life ;)

Definitely worth a rental now that it's out on video, if you've not seen it.
OMG, half a page up, I’m there from the past saying my wife and I saw and enjoyed this movie!!! 😲

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks