Stranger In a Strange Land

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Jim Williams, Apr 20, 2003.

1. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Second Unit

I thought that I heard a few years ago that this (Stranger In a Strange Land) was going to be made into a movie, but I haven't seen or heard anything more about this. Does anyone know if this is still in the works or whether it ever was?

2. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

I remember a long while back Tom Hanks showing an interest but now he would be a bit old for Smith but too young for Jubal. Maybe when he is a bit older? I really wonder how well this book would translate today as a film. I haven't read it in about 10 years but when I did, I thought it seemed a bit of a product of its time vs. some of his other works. Just my opinion. I doubt the serious misogyny of the novel would survive to the screen, in any case. Still, any science fiction that makes its way to the big screen is fine by me!

Phil

3. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

Hopefully they'll be smart and set it in the 60s.

The book was such a part of the Hippie/counterculture/free-love movement it's hard to see it set in modern times- It would actually defeat the whole point.

Grok that?

4. Ben Seibert

Ben Seibert Stunt Coordinator

This would be great as long as it is more faithful to the book than ST (but then again, what isn't?).

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

There were rumors even as far back as 1968/1969 that the novel was on its way to the big screen. I don't think it's ever going to be made into a film. Even Robert Heinlein should have known better in 1961 than to posit that intelligent life could exist on Mars. Also, though Stranger is strongly identified with the 1960s Counterculture, it's an association that Heinlein loathed (he was as hawkish as they come).

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

And yet, I could see someone like Val Kilmer in the Michael Valentine Smith role, and maybe Daniel Benzali as Jubal.

7. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Yes, so many changes would have to be made to the story that there would be no point other than name recognition in keeping the title.

8. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

9. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Did you remember to dress?

10. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

11. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

12. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I don't think this could be done as a theatrical movie without cutting out way too much.

Stephen King's The Stand couldn't be done as a 2 or 3 hour feature, but the miniseries despite or perhaps partly because of it's lower production values (no huge stars or fancy cgi to muck things up) was excellent.

I could see Stranger in a Strange Land being done as a miniseries on Sci-Fi channel perhaps.

The book is more than a little anachronistic in it's attitudes towards women, though Jubal's secretarial pool could really kick ass. This would have to be handled carefully for a tv version, but I think if Nick Garris (sp?) and the team that's done the recent King miniseries like The Stand, Storm of the Century, and Rose Red got a crack at it the result could be quite good.

13. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

14. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

15. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

16. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

Robert- you're the first person I've ever come across who thought "Stranger" was meant to be "Hard" SF.

17. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

18. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Aren't we confusing "fiction" with "fantasy"?

19. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

20. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

Fiction is imaginary. There are sub-classifications, but ultimately the only laws it follows are the ones emerging from the author's mind.

I don't understand how you read fiction if you're always struggling with "that's impossible" type of thoughts. The fact that he set it in modern day times might be confusing, but I take it for what it is. Who cares if Smith came from Mars, Jupiter or Pluto? That's besides the point.

Now if Heinlein claimed Stranger was based on fact, I'd have a bone to pick with him...