What's new

Strangely curious about SONY's latest speaker offerings (1 Viewer)

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
i know, sony speakers. just bear with me. i just went through the speaker buying bit (bought KEF Q series), but i'm still very much in "speaker-listening" mode. yesterday, in circuit city, i saw sony's newest line of speakers. perhaps they've been out for awhile, but i had not seen (or heard) them. there's nothing on sony's websites about them, either. they're pretty interesting, especially for the price.

last year, their speakers caught my eye with their obvious cosmetic similarities, especially the upper-end ES line, to certain other speaker manufacturers' speakers. but i, of course, being me, and they being sony's, never gave them a listen. but i wondered every time i saw them if the similarity was a gimmick or an indication of some "shared lineage".

so, yesterday, i was in circuit city for non-speaker reasons, but couldn't help but notice the newest SONY speakers that they were offering. having just bought the KEF Qs, with the curved, teardrop-shaped cabinets, i first noticed the SONY's because this entire new line-up has a very similar cabinet to the KEFs, now. some of the drivers still look very similar to the yellow woven aramid drivers that are on some other manufacturers' speakers. and they've all got the carbon ED (extended definition) tweeter that the ES line had last year; supposedly goes to 70k, if i remember correctly. they're a reasonably nice looking speaker and seemed well-built for what they are (i mean they're sony, b'gosh!).

anyway, i gave them a listen (one of the 2 floorstanders, not sure which one), and thought they sounded great for sony speakers and outstanding for their price. i might even recommend them to someone on a budget. the center channel offering is a bit wimpy, though.

so, what's the real scoop (or poop) on these speakers? i'm very curious, now. even though i already bought another brand of speaker, i can't get these cheap speakers out of my head, for some reason.

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.js...3345&oid=79701

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.js...3345&oid=79698

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.js...3345&oid=79699

:)

Rick_FL

Stunt Coordinator
those speakers are designed by former polk audio engineer, so it's no wonder they are better than previous year sony circuit city speakers. as far as what you can buy from CC or Best Buy, IMO Athena speakers sound even better

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
And then there were the ES speakers which looked identical to the B&Ws too. Meh. I don't think B&W has the balls to sue sony like they did everyone else. ;)

Dan Halchak

Stunt Coordinator

B&W won't even waste their time. You put those Sony's next to the B&Ws (which I have, my friend has Sony, I have B&Ws) and there's just no comparison.

Not saying those Sony are bad speakers, but they don't compare to the quality B&W puts out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks