What's new

Strange Yamaha amp problem (1 Viewer)

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I have a Yamaha RX-V1 and ran across a strange problem that I've seen mentioned here once before. This morning I was listening to some music and noticed the sound seemed really biased to the right channel. I started investigating and found that the left channel sounded heavily muted, but it was still playing some sound. So I moved the left speaker to the right, and that was ok, so I tried the B speaker connection, and then switched the right channel wire to the left connector and so on. Everything I did showed that the left channel just wasn't putting out much juice.
Fortunately I remembered a recent discussion where someone mentioned that on some of the newer Yamaha receivers that don't use the connectors between the pre-in and pre-out, its possible for something to work loose and the amp gets turned off. I don't remember the specifics of this, but working on that assumption I grabbed a spare composite video cable, connected the pre-in to the pre-out and voila, it came back to life. So I removed the cable and it continued to work normally.
This makes me a bit concerned though, I mean a $2k+ receiver shouldn't have problems like this. But I don't want to take it in to the shop because I couldn't live without it. I'm wondering if I should attach some connectors to the in/outs just to prevent this from happening again. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
I once had this problem with my dspA1...the sound in the right channel was noticeably higher than that of the left. I double checked my wiring, and the problem went away the next day after I cranked some tunes...
so you say the fix is send something from the "main in" to the "pre out"? I already have cables here which run to my built in subs...maybe they just got a little loose.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Does the DSP-A1 have jumpers between the main ins and outs? I know my 3090 did, however the RX-V1 does not. My understanding is that if you run a cable into the pre-out, it lifts a connector that disconnects the amp, or something like that. Aparently it can work its self loose, but sticking a cable in and removing it jars it back into place. This was mentioned in a thread I saw a week or so ago about receivers. Unfortunately it'd be difficult to track that one down because I can't rember the subject or the poster, and its too generic of a topic. The poster was talking about how he modded his to add a full set of pre-ins so he could have both DVD-Audio and SACD inputs.
The strange thing is there was some sound, like the problem you had. It seems to me that this should be an all or nothing kind of situation. All I know is it works now, and I just watched TPM again at a pretty decent volume, and there never seemed to be a problem. Perhaps there was some sort of overload and a circuit was tripped, then it reset. Although that doesn't make much sense since I didn't have the system turned up very loud.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Danny, that's the one I was thinking of. For me insterting the cable one time took care of it. If this occurs again, I'll be sure and get some contact cleaner.
That mod you did sounds interesting too. I may have to give that a try when I get into DVD-Audio and SACD.

Marty Neudel

Stunt Coordinator
Keith,
while I bought the RX-V1 for its legendary quality, this problem and the fact that the volume knob tends to develope play after a few years is causing me to rethink my receiver selection. So far, I haven't heard any other receiver that reproduces music and DD/DTS as well (I believe the 44-bit processor has a lot to do with this); but, I am looking. There is one receiver that is alleged to appear within the next 30 days that I am waiting to audition.
Marty

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Marty,
This receiver hasn't even been around a "few" years. If you are having trouble with the volume control, take it in for repair. That sounds like a potentially serious issue. Prior to this I owned a DSP-A3090 that I bought used. It always worked well, up until a minor run in with some lightning. After that all it would do is make a soft click whenever I turned it on.
I bought the Yamaha for two reasons, one I knew it to be a quality piece, second my salesman always takes care of me, and the Yammies are the best he sells. He doesn't carry Denon or B&K and so on. I think I'll keep this one for a while, cause I really like it. I just wish it had assignable digital inputs like their newer receivers. This little quirk it has can be annoying, but since its so easily fixed I don't see any reason to question my buying habits.

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
Marty,
Maybe you should wait for the replacement for the RX-V1...whenever that comes out :)

Marty Neudel

Stunt Coordinator
>This receiver hasn't even been around a "few" years.
Keith,
of course you're right; I got mine in March of 2000. When I turned it in for repair, the loaner had the same play in the volume knob and periodically had the left amp going out, too. The replacement unit Yamaha sent had neither of these problems (yet); but, I'm leary of how Yamaha appears to be cutting corners. I've been a user (and admirer) of Yamaha equipment since the mid-80's. However, this is their flagship, and I expect greater logevity from it.
Marty

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, that's disappointing to hear. I'll have to keep an eye on it and my ears open in case others have this happen too. I've considered upgrading when the replacement comes depending on what my salesman will give me for it. I certainly hope this isn't a sign of things to come from Yamaha.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
Holy crap! I started noticing this problem as well (I got my RX-V1 this April) and was very upset at the thought of soemthing like this happening to a unit like this this early on (I had the 3090 for 5 years and it was still working perfectly when I decided to plunge for the upgrade). I noticed the left channel tends to go out when the temperture goes up a little. I'm definitely going to try the RCA patch to see if it helps (it's currently working fine now), though I'm still upset that we have to resort to this. Then again I got the $500 Rav-2000 touchscreen remote for free when I bought the receiver, so I'm glad for that!
------------------
Link Removed
Leonid, you've gotta try one of these cookies!
[Edited last by David Pagura on October 24, 2001 at 08:18 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks