What's new

Strange things with my PC (1 Viewer)

DaveNel

Second Unit
This started yesterday, When I would move my mouse
this thing would take the cursor and run in the oppsite direction real fast the cursor would dissapear for about 10 seconds, Then reappear.

This also started is when I have been on a while, And I go to open a new window ( I have roadrunner as my Default home page address ) After I have been surfing for about 1 hour stretches when I go to open IE explorer it seems to load slow, The mouse doesnt move, Then the page loads after about 45 seconds. I have to go to dsik clean up, Then
internet options, And clear forms, Then reboot.. Then everything is ok for a while. Then after about 45 min to an hour it starts over again.. Any ideas whats causing that..

I have never had that kinna stuff happen before..

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Do you regularly use spyware removal tools? If not, download AdAware and Spybot S&D and run both to remove all spyware from your computer. This sounds like it could be a rogue spyware/adware thing. Also, make sure your virus protection is up-to-date.

DaveNel

Second Unit
Yes I have spyware, Adware, Norton systemworks, And ezfirewall and I run everything everyday..

I also update everything everytime there is a update..

I thought that as well but I dont normally d/load anything
And I try not to visit sites that arent trusted..

John Watson

Screenwriter
I noticed something similar in the last 6 months or so, and I wondered if it hadn't happened after some MS updates I allowed to my Windows 98 system. The cursor occasionally runs in a horizontal direction, out of my control. There were some other trivial changes in the OS, I had to become much more precise in clicking on certain parts of icons to get an action. But the cursor has never disappeared, and I don't know of any problem serious problem related to this occasional behaviour.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Add Spybot Search and Destroy (freeware) to the mix. Firewalls won't necessarily intercept adware and spyware - that isn't what they're built for. Ditto Anti-Virus software, although some anti-spyware functions have been added to most AVS packages. And no single dedicated anti-spyware tool is going to catch everything. You have to run a layered defense and update everything constantly, because the bad guys are constantly finding ways around the programs that protect us, and the security vendors are forced to play catch up with each new threat as it emerges. Adware, spyware and malware have long since overtaken viruses as the biggest security headache and productivity killer on the network I support. (I spent several hours today connected to two systems by remote control cleaning out tons of spyware from each in between other help calls. The users had to steal time on co-worker's PCs and do non-computer projects while I tried to fix their barely functioning machines.)

Regards,

Joe

DaveNel

Second Unit
Hello, When I said spyware.. I meant spybot (LOL) just got to typing so fast ;)

I reinstalled norton systemworks on here, So that may help.

It found like 114 problems. I will have to wait and see the outcome in the next few hours..

DaveNel

Second Unit
I did find DSO Exploit when I ran spybot, I need to figure out how to lock that open Door where unwanted rats cant get into my basement and root around ;)

DaveNel

Second Unit
Well after running everything under the sun, The problems are still there :frowning: Not sure whats causing any of it now..

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
I don't even use IE Explorer. There are too many holes. I remember i'd open it after running adaware and it wood work for five minutes then the spyware would find it's way back again into my registry. I couldn't even control IE explorer!
The browser i'm using now is Firefox and the spyware problems are non existent every time I check with adaware.
I don't know how long it will last until the hacks start in on Firefox but at this point IE explorer as a browser is garbage with it's persistant spyware problems.

DaveNel

Second Unit
Yeah I may be swinging that way with Firefox myself, But I need to do some research on it before i do.

Someone told me that certain hackers can get inside of your PC running Firefox without anyone knowing it. Also no software has been made to prevent it. I dont know hop true that is I need to check it out throughly before I make any kinna hasty switch ...

Any one have imput on firefox. Ive heard most the good on it.. what are the drawbacks of it, Also any one having any kinna problems running it, security issues, Issues with other software, Issues with plugins and such..

DaveNel

Second Unit
Is there any bad sides with firefox before I decide to switch over, I have heard all the good. But what are some of the bad sides with it. Can it be used with everything that internet explorer can.

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
Firefox works the same as IE Explorer. If you're talking about security like exposed ports buy a $30 router that will act like a electronic firewall.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Firefox can generally be used for anything you can use IE for. The main exception being Windows updates. You have to use IE to get any updates from MS. But there is no way to remove IE from your computer, so it will always be there waiting.

SethH

Senior HTF Member

You must have been talking to a MS employee or serious conspiracy theorist. Yes, Firefox is open-source, so anyone can view the source code, but that is precisely why it's so secure. If someone put rogue code in it, another programmer would catch it pretty quickly.

DaveNel

Second Unit
I took care of the problem, I now have a pretty good firewall and all the updates for IE, I also redid the wares
on here as well, Low leveled it, took any thing that was creepin round and just inhilated it :)

epiloge: The PC is runnin better now than before.

Stephen Cook

Auditioning
try this free spyware software :
.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&DisplayLang=en

also try Firefox . . . can't go wrong there

DaveNel

Second Unit
Well today my cable modem died :frowning: But time warner came out and took the Scientific Atlanta modem out and put a new motorola Cable modem with digital phone in.

That may have been causing some of the probs.

Seems like its running even faster again with the new modem
But time will tell :)

Tom Fudold

Stunt Coordinator
I know you're running better, and Spybot and most other spywares will do this, but look anyway:

Regedit, then go here:

HKEY_local_machinesoftwaremicrosoftwindowscurr entversionexplorerbrowser helper objects

Open the + sign up on the left pane, and delete anything under it, on the left pane. Not all spywares get these out. These will cause havok on any web browsing you do.

On a side note, you can get Microsofts new Anti-Spyware beta from thier site. They bought out a program I've found to be the best lately, Counter Spy. They bought it, renamed it, changed some colors, but it's the same thing, and it's excellent.

Tom

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
This is probably not your problem.. but I've seen something similar happen. Recently a DSL rep came out to some retail locations that I support and dropped off some new mousepads. They're pretty cool with a sort of frenzel 3-D image that changes when you look at it from different angles (like those old 3-D baseball cards you used to get).

Anyway.. these things were wreaking havoc with our optical mice, causing them to zip in the opposite direction or not move at all.

Just an FYI for optical mouse owners.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks