Strange Request: Hospital Floor Plans

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Chuck C, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Once again, I turn to the Fellowship of HTF to get some much needed info. I am doing this project about integrating Wi-fi with hospitals, and I need hosptial floor plans/blueprints for ANY hospital. We spoke to a couple hosptials, and they wouldn't let that info out for whatever reason. If anyone can supply me with floor plans either electronically or through mail, post or send me an e-mail asap!!!!

2. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

Good luck getting that information. I've worked at a hospital (Financial Analyst) for 10 years and I think you'll have a very difficult time finding one who will be willing to give you the information.

Security is a big issue at hospitals these days and giving out detailed floor plans/blueprints would definately be contrary to any hospital's safety and security plan.

3. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

I agree, you're not likely to get that information. In fact, I think you'd be hard-pressed to get blueprints of *any* commercial building. At the several places I've worked (not hospitals) the blueprints were copyrighted by the architecture firm and all copies had to be authorized by them. We couldn't even make copies for ourselves.

4. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

If you are in college, it is possible that your dean's school credentials can get you the prints. Otherwise you are basically SOL, unless you can go to your local public records for a now closed and unused hospital space building.

5. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

6. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

Are you literally looking for construction documents or a general layout? Even if you could get them, any blueprints would be blown up to a much bigger scale than to be usefull to show any overall layout. On a typical set of plans, only about 25,000 +/- square feet is actually shown on any 24"x36" page. Notwithstanding any copyright issues, if you want an overall layout, your best bet might be to go to a hospital front desk and see if they have a visitors map or somthing showing the corridors and different departments blocked out generally. You might also try to go to the lobby of a large hospital and see if they have a wall sign or exit diagram and take a picture of it.

7. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

8. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

wow, thanks for the replies. Maybe I'll try the visitor's map approach.

9. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I manage the data communication network for a large healthcare organization, and I can pretty much guarantee that you will not be able to get blueprints from a hospital. If I were to give out such information, I would quickly be unemployed.

10. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

CRyan has the right idea. Look for a closed hospital, especially one that was run by the state or federal government, or find one that is historic. I know some really old hospitals that are not used anymore are considered historic buildings. It might not accurately reflect modern hospital design, but it might be the best that you can get.

11. Keith Outhouse

Keith Outhouse Stunt Coordinator

12. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
  13. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I was thinking along the lines of Lee...Do you need actual hospital plans? Can you get plans to a school and rework them into a layout for a hospital?

14. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

15. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Bob hit one out of the park. That link is great.

Do you need to know about building materials/composition? I know we have had problems at some of our customer sites with certain angles and shapes absolutely killing the signal in concrete buildings.

16. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

It's funny cuz I always do a search before questioning the HTF. I love Google and thanks guys.