Strange Question - Power 2nd receiver from 1st Receiver

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Caroline_B, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Caroline_B

Caroline_B Auditioning

I know that this is a terribly convoluted question. My ultimate goal is to listen to MP3 music from my basement computer to my receiver upstairs. I know that there is a wireless RCA RD900W that would accomplish that, but I have some pre-wiring that i was wondering if i could utilize. Here is the set-up...
    - Receiver in the basement (hooked up to HT)
    - PC in the basement (within 15 feet of receiver)
    - Second receiver in the 1st level.
    - Wireless Speakers used to listen to music from the receiver on the 1st level
    - Speaker wiring in the walls directly from the receiver in the basement to the receiver in the 1st level. This wiring is long enough to extend to the computer, but I am not sure what good that will do me.

To me the optimal solution would be to use the existing wiring between my PC and the receiver upstairs and continue using the wireless speakers as currently set up. Any ideas?

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    You could probably make this work by using some speaker-to-line-level converters (A car-audio staple – you can find them at Radio Shack and probably even WalMart). You could splice it into the existing speaker wires.

The problem with this arrangement, however, is that anytime you change the volume of the front-end receiver, it will also change the volume at the other end.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Caroline_B

Caroline_B Auditioning

I went to radio shack and purchased what I thought was required. I was able to hook up the speaker wire to the receiver upstairs (with the use of an adapter to the phono input). As a test I connected it to speaker B on the downstairs receiver. It worked fine. The last step was to connect the speaker wire directly to the computer (rather than the downstairs receiver). Based on your e-mail I purchased a "connection between earphone jack and speaker 1/8" mini plug to lug terminals". I spliced the wires to this cable. I plugged it the jack into the headphone jack on my computer and nothing. I checked to make sure I had the plus and minus correct. I hate to admit, but I even switched them in case I had done it incorrectly. Still nothing. At radio shack they tried to sell me an earphone jack that you had to solder to connect the speaker wires. I think that is way beyond my capabilities. At this point I am out of ideas.

4. Jim Rakowiecki

Jim Rakowiecki Stunt Coordinator

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Okay, Caroline, after seeing your second post I have a better idea of what you’re trying to do.

Here’s what you need. All these pieces are available at Radio Shack, and I’ve included part numbers.

First, for the computer connection you need a 1/8” stereo headphone to RCA adapter/splitter, #274-369:

[​IMG]

If that one won’t work because of clearance problems, you can use a cable adapter, #42-2551:

[​IMG]

However, if you use this cable you will also need this RCA-to-RCA coupler, #274-1548

[​IMG]

Okay, you’ve got the signal out the computer. Now we have to get it to the speaker cables. For that you’ll need this speaker wire with an RCA plug on the end, #42-2457:

[​IMG]

This cable will plug into your “y” splitter, and the other end you will splice into the speaker wires in the wall. You will need four if these cables – two at the computer location, and another pair upstairs at the second receiver.

You didn’t mention it, but if you’re wanting to also get the MP3’s to the basement receiver, you’ll need to split the signal coming out of the computer. For that you’ll need a pair of these “y” adapters, #42-2536:

[​IMG]

This will allow you to connect the signal to your downstairs receiver.

Hope this all mmakes sense.

Now, the caveat: You are going to be sending a line-level signal on unshielded speaker cables. So there is a chance you’ll pick up some interference (i.e., extraneous noise).

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt