What's new

Strange Problem with Sony DB840...is it about to die? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Pounds

Second Unit
I bought a Sony DB840 receiver from Oade Brothers about four years ago and have loved it, but I've got a weird problem going on right now and am worried that it's about to die.

Typically when I turn the unit on, I hear a series of two "Click" sounds -- when I first hit the power button, and then again right as the sound comes on... I assume the second "click" is the amp being activated?

However, within the last few months, there have been some times when all of a sudden, I would hear a whole bunch of clicks in rapid succession at random times... ususally in the morning when I turn it on for the first time.

It would almost sound like electrical surging or something... but it was the same clicks I hear when I switch the unit on... just a whole bunch in rapid succession.

Two things about this:

* It typically never made the sound cut out.
* It seemed to only happen when I was watching my Dish Network through the unit, which is PCM.
* The problem never happened when I was listening to a Dolby Digital or DTS soundtrck.

The problem is today when I was home for lunch, it happened when I was listening to a Dolby Digital soundtrack. It wasn't the rapid clicking succession, but just an extra click that messed up the DD sound.

It doesn't drop the sound completly, though. I was watching the "Star Wars - Musical Journey" DVD... and I could still hear the music, but the dialoge was barely audible.

The receiver is obviously not supposed to be doing this and I'm worried it's about to die, because I've LOVED this receiver.

Does anyone have any input, thoughts, or suggestions on a) what this might be? b) Is it fixable?

THANKS!

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Common problems would be solder connections on relays. We also see solder problems where the front panel circuit boards overlap each other. These are pretty straightforward repairs and usually worth doing. (loss of dialog could indicate the center channel relay cut off)

Jeff Pounds

Second Unit
Thanks for the reply Steve.

I actually got on the phone with Oade Brothers last night and the guy whom I spoke to said it sounded like the protection circuit was being tripped, possibly by a frayed wire somewhere...

So, I'm in the process of checking all of my wires that I've got running through my attic ... :eek:

Kevin T

Screenwriter
kinda sounds like the click your hearing is the receiver losing "lock" on the digital signal. my old ead processor would do this when changing channels on my directv sat receiver. just an idea.

kevin t

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Jeff, if it was a protection problem, you would lose all audio and there would be a display indication (usually "Protect" on Sony's). Once in "protect" you have to cycle power to clear it, it will not come back on by itself. If you crossed the speaker wires the audio output transistors usually short instantly. The "Protect" feature is there to protect your speakers from an amplifier failure not to protect the amp from a speaker or wiring failure.

Likewise if the DD was losing lock or dropping out you would have a display indication (you might have to be close to see it, though).

The service history of these receivers is that of solder connection failure. I have repaired this problem on many of them (servicing since 1972 - my own shop since 1979 - Sony Authorized for 25 years - recently deemed too small to bother with for warranty work anymore - Sony's new CEO is an accountant promoted from the Business division).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks