What's new

Strange problem with my livingroom set... (1 Viewer)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Okay.. I wasn't sure where to post this since I'm not sure if the problem lies within my TV, PlayStation2, or DVD player. And, in fact, it's not really a problem per se, more of a nuisance.

Anyway, I got a new DVD player for the HT (don't get excited it's nothing fancy.. just something to tie me over until blu-ray. ;) ). So, I took my old player upstairs and plugged it into my 27" RCA "Home theater" CRT TV. It's a pretty nice set, actually.... for an RCA.

So, I've got a VCR, and a PlayStation2 plugged into it and I want to add my DVD player. One of the inputs is a dual input and can detect whether it needs to use composite or component which solves my problem on where to connect the DVD. Since I wont be using both the DVD and the PS2 at the same time, it'll be like having 2 inputs in one! :emoji_thumbsup: The only drawback is there's one audio input associated with those connections. So, I spun by Radio Shack to pick up a couple of "Y" adapters.

I hook it all up and fire up the PS2.. "check" works fine. Then, turning off the PS2, I turn on the DVD and am delighted to see a picture! But, there's no audio. I thought if I were to have any problem it would be with jumping from composite to component... not the simple "Y" adapters.

It turns out, the only way I can get audio out of the DVD is to completely turn off the PS2 with the switch on the back. I don't know how many of you are familiar with PS2's, but there's basically 2 power switches. If you turn it off from the front, the PS2 sits in sort of a "standby" mode with a little red light on it... or, you can fully power it off using a rocker switch on the back. I usually leave it in standby, since it's a pain to reach around and feel around for the rocker switch.

I know it probably sounds petty complaining about turning it off, but my kid uses the PS2 and the less "reaching around" the less damage he can do. And, my wife is somewhat "A/V challenged", so the less phone calls I get at work saying there's no audio on her DVD, the better. ;) Plus, I'm more or less curious about what's happening here... where is the audio going?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Maybe plug the PS/2 into a switched power strip of it's own to make it easier to totally switch off. Smallest switched strip you can find.

Mike Gillgannon

Auditioning
I have a PS2 and GameCube connected to the same input. Same problem. PS2 has to be off, i.e. completely off for the GC to display properly.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I'm thinking the PS2 grounds-out the audio when in standby, so any audio sent out the DVD player drains out through the PS2.

A powerstrip, I'm sure, would fall under the category of "unsightly" to the Mrs. I wonder if I could reroute the rocker switch to the front of the PS2.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks