Strange problem w/ Marantz 5400

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Brett_Nachman, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Brett_Nachman

Brett_Nachman Auditioning

Apr 8, 2004
    I'm having a weird problem with my Marantz 5400 receiver. I hope I can explain it clearly. Here's what happens (and it is replicable every time).

1. I listen to something (SACD/DVD-Audio) in 6.1 analog mode.

2. I turn the unit off for whatever reason (bed, work, etc.) while still in 6.1 analog mode.

3. I come back later and turn the unit back on. As per usual, it turns on in the most recently used mode: here that would be 6.1 analog.

4. I decide to watch TV or a Movie or whatever and change the receiver input accordingly. Here's where the problem comes in. When I switch inputs and then try to use one of the surround functions (e.g., Neo 6 Cinema, ProLogic, etc.) the sound is horrible. By horrible I mean low volume, almost complete inability to hear dialogue, inability to make out soundtrack music. Now, in contrast, stereo mode sounds fine---but none of the surround modes work correctly.

5. I can fix the above problem by turning the receiver off and then back on. I do that and everything is perfect.

So anyway, this only happens when I turn the receiver off while it's in 6.1 mode. It doesn't happen when turned off in any other mode and it doesn't happen when switching from 6.1 to another mode while the receiver is on. Only when turned off in 6.1.

Any ideas? Thanks for your help.
  2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

Jun 24, 1999
    When switching back to other modes, hit "Auto" and see if it fixes it. I have had this happen once or twice with my 8300, but not consistenly like you.

Your solution is pretty clear: "My arm hurts when I bend it." "Then don't bend it." [​IMG]
  3. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

Mar 11, 2004
    I have the 5400 as well, but I haven't hooked anything up yet through the analog inputs yet. So far I've had no problems or glitches with mine.....
  4. Gau

Gau Stunt Coordinator

May 18, 2004
    i own a yamaha htr-5740 and i've had this 'problem' occur also. all i have had to do is cycle thorugh some audio modes and it corrects itself.