What's new

Strange problem, need some help (1 Viewer)

mike di

Auditioning
Alright, so i buy this home theater system. i hook it up to my tv, and my tv has my xbox, dvd player, and vcr plugged into it. It works fine for a little bit, then it just seems to die, no matter what im doing, i could just be listening to music and it would just shut off. not even the little stand by light would be on. Its really really wierd.

I have a phillips mx 3550 dvd/reciever,xbox, sylvania el cheapo vcr, sanyo dvd that i bought about 2 years ago, and my xbox all plugged into 1 $30 Wal-mart power bar. oh and the woofer for the reciever.

I tried using different inputs/outputs. i tried my other speakers, i tried disabling the surround and making it just stereo(FL,FR,Sub), but after about 30 minutes of useage, it dies.then i have to wait a bit to turn it back on, then it cuts out in an even shorter length of time. im thinking it has something to do with the cooling. like it has a circut or something that cuts it if it "overheats". any help appriciated and thx in advance.:angry:

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Faulty hardware, or bad wiring. Make sure all of the speaker connections are solid, with new 16ga or better wire with no splices.

What system did you buy?

mike di

Auditioning
all the speakers are set up with good wiring, except for 1 speaker. i had to use some older wire i found in a box somewhere for my 1 speaker because i had to wire it around a door. its in pretty bad shape and the sound comes through a little distorted.

What do you mean what system?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
If you think the problem lies with the unit overheating you might tell us just where the system is located and how much ventilation it receives.

mike di

Auditioning
its in a tv cabinet, the back is all open and its on a wall. and there is about 9" between the shelves.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
weird. it sounds like you have enough ventilation. maybe a faulty thermal protection circuit?

heck, take the thing back and get a new one.

are you cranking the thing really loud? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks