strange problem...I'm watching Boomtown in hd and it was filling my entire widescreen

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Chris Hicks, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Stunt Coordinator

then during a commercial I swiitched inputs for a minute. after I switched back and the show started the pic now has black bars on all 4 sides of the pic. what happened?

2. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Yeah it seemes like NBC flubbed up.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Well, more likely the local NBC affiliate flubbed up. The more HDTV broadcasts you watch, you more you'll notice it on transitions to commercials (usually in 4:3 aspect ratio), and when the show comes back, someone forgets to flip on the switch for the HDTV feed.

4. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

I've had the problem where my local NBC affiliate forgets to 'flip the switch' at all. Example: During Friday's MissMatch the show started in Standard Definition. I had to call the station and tell them to switch to the HDTV feed. Unfortunately the show was nearly over before they got it switched (when I called, I was told the guys in engineering were on break). I've had to call the station on a number of occasions for this.

I just emailed the general manager to complain, so hopefully that will put some incentive for them to pay more attention.

5. ScottNJ

ScottNJ Auditioning

I had the same problem with Boomtown about halfway through the show. The HDTV just went away leaving letterboxed 4:3 ratio. [​IMG]

6. NateM.

NateM. Auditioning

I have also experienced that same problem, but most often during The Tonight Show w/ Jay Leno. It's very annoying![​IMG]

7. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

If you go the the HDTV programming forum at avsforum.com it seems like tons of people are having problems with HD from NBC. Sounds like these problems are network based and not at the local affiliate.