Strange problem...any ideas?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Frank Lee, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Frank Lee

Frank Lee Stunt Coordinator

Hi

I wasn't sure where to post this, because I don't really know what the problem is. Please move if it doesn't belong here.

My problem...
    I got my Star Wars DVDs in the mail, so I went to the theater and stuck the New Hope DVD in the player. The DVD started playing normally and had sound, but soon after it got to the menu screen the sound shut off and the Dolby Digital flag disappered from the recivers screen. No sound. I tried putting in other DVDs and they had no sound at all. I tried changed the inputs of the reciver with the knob on the control panel. When I got back around to the DVD the sound would work again. The sound would shut off again when the movie switched from a menu to another menu or to the movie. Basically anytime the Dolby Digital flag went off it wouldn't come back on when it was supposed to. I ended up shutting off the power to the reciever and the DVD player and restarted both. I haven't had the problem happen again. My DVD player is an older RCA and my reciver is a Yamaha HTR-5590. Any ideas as to why this happened?

Thanks

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

You will get more responses here.

First-, second-, and some third-generation DVD players experience(d) problems reading some discs. For example, when The Matrix was released to DVD in 1999, it bacame the talk of the Internet that the disc was a problem for so many of the players then on the market.

The problem, largely obviated, persists to this day. Your old RCA player probably cannot read the discs.

3. Robbie R

Robbie R Stunt Coordinator

I had to replace my Denon DVD2000 because of this problem. Every time I bought or rented a newer DVD it was a crap shoot whether or not it would play. Drove me NUTS.

4. John S

John S Producer

I can say, the problem can go the other way too....

I have the title "The Great Escape", it gives all the newest players fits.

The disc has no menus, no chapters (or at least chapter search), just a most plain jane thing.

It will play on my newest player, but I kidd you not, it takes like 5 min to load up!

5. Frank Lee

Frank Lee Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the replies.[​IMG]

I'm glad you guys think the problem is with the DVD player, becuase it is a lot cheaper to replace then the $800 reciever.

I still haven't had the problem happen again since I turned the power off and back on, so maybe I will be OK for awhile.