Strange Power Problem with Computer and Receiver

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Johnny_M, May 19, 2004.

1. Johnny_M

Johnny_M Second Unit

Hey guys, I'm confused on this one and hoping for some help. I just ran a cable (50') from my computer to my receiver (coax) for the purpose of music listening.

Heres the wierd part, while listening to music on this source, it sounds great, but if I switch a light on or off anywhere in the house, the audio cuts out for about 2 seconds and then resumes.

So I figure its probably a house power issue (its an old house), but this never happens when listening to same receiver thru dvd playback of audio or video, or from my sat feed to the receiver, I can listen at insane levels in surround sound and the problem never happens.

Any thoughts on this? I tried the audio card in 2 different computers, no difference.

Should I be looking for some type of power conditioner? I live in a rental so re-wiring anything is out of the question.

Johnny

2. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

hmm. . . that's an odd one primarily because it sounds like it doesn't matter what circuit the different pieces are attached to. Though you should try hooking the computer up to a different circuit and see if the problem persists.

Well, ideas are slim, though I have a few off the wall thoughts, you could try using a different cable between the computer and the reciever. Actually it would be cooler if you could just bring the computer right up near the reciever and hook them up with something that is known to work.

3. Johnny_M

Johnny_M Second Unit

well, i took a heavy duty extension cord and tested the computer and the reciever in nearly every outlet in the house, same problem. i also tried 2 different cables going from the computer to the receiver, same problem. 1 of the cables is brand new. im pretty sure the power in this old house is just not built for heavy duty equiptment like this. the lights flicker when the ac kicks on and off.

what are your thoughts on monster surge protectors? i know monster is over rated but i have a best buy card and thats all they really carry. maybe ill go try one, i can always return it.

Johnny

4. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

Well then. . .

A less expensive route that I think would work well is to invest in a compter ups-backup. The ups can take the initial shock of powerup and also will work well during blackouts and brownouts. As a matter of fact if you get something with a high enough rating you can hook your hometheater up to one as well.

The ups systems will cost a lot less then a monster line conditioner and work better (provided you buy a respectable ups).

anyway, it's a off-the-wall thought. . .