Strange pauses in computer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Danny R, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

I've got an XP machine that was upgraded from windows 98. (Yes, I know not the best way, but some of the software that was installed on this machine was stolen when my car was broken into, and a fresh XP install would lose it)

Under both 98 and XP configurations, something weird happens. If you open up a new program, the machine seems to just ignore the command for about 15-30 seconds. No process or application pops up in the task manager until after this pause, with the computer idle task still chugging away normally as if no command were given, and then suddenly the program appears and launches normally.

Once the program is running it seems to work fine with no delays.

Any ideas what might be causing this strange pause? No virii were found on the computer.

2. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

How much RAM are you running?

3. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

I hate to say it, but it sounds like you might have to just look into doing a fresh reinstall of windows on your comp. over time your computer slowly corrupts causing it to slow down and get wierd glitches in it as windows has to trip over its own mess.

also you can look into uninstalling unnessecary programs, you can do this by start->settings->control panel->add/remove programs. sometimes extra junk floating around on the computer especially installed ones can cause slowdowns.

I am with joel in thinking more ram would help, if your not up for buying you can look into a memory management program like memturbo. memory leaks do tend to have those effects. but windows XP is usually really good with ram, so that solution might not be that effetive.

if you have any details about your computer that would help us out greatly in determining what's going on.

I do hope this helkps you out some, by all means ask any questions you may have no matter what [​IMG].

4. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

This computer has a 512MB of RAM. System resources seem to be average, with the same behavior happening from just after bootup to the end of the day. No excessive hard drive thrashing when I start an application... nothing at all in fact... just a long pause.