Strange Occurace on my Panny 47"- service setting magically changed!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marc Carra, Dec 5, 2001.

1. Marc Carra

Marc Carra Supporting Actor

OK Guys,

Here's one for you that has me a little worried. I've had my set for about 90 days now and everything has been working great. I've done numerous tweaks including many service menu changes. All of my original values, as well as my new values are written down.

Last night I watched some HD TV and went to sleep, leaving the set on with no source, just a black screen which I've done many times. When I went to watch something today I was greeted by an overly blue screen. At first it looked as though the green gun had failed, but I brought up the convergence grid and the red, green and blue, were functioning normally. In fact the convergence lines were white. This led me to believe that the culprit was the greyscale controls. I entered the service menu and checked all my settings. Upon investigation, I noticed that the BCUT setting had changed from 1-7F to 2-7F, hence the overdose of blue!!! What could have possibly made this value change while the set was still on?! Any clue?

Marc.

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Thanks for bringing this one up. I too noticed something odd with my own Panny ... new for about one week now.

The set was calibrated within hours of it being out of the box. It is sitting right next to my 61" Toshiba 4:3 set for demonstration purposes until I figure out what to do with the 47" panny.

Well, last night as I was going through B5-In the Beginning, I noticed a distinct shift in the grayscale on the Panny. The Toshiba has been rock solid for the longest while now.

What started out as grayscales that were virtually identical, now had the panny looking distinctly more red than the Toshiba.

I will need to investigate this further.

Regards

3. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Wow! This could be a major glitch in an otherwise perfect TV.

Gregg

4. Marc Carra

Marc Carra Supporting Actor

Micheal,

Let me know what you find out. Meanwhile , I've set the BCUT value back to normal and everything seems fine. Just for the heck of it, what is your BCUT set at? 1-7F or 2-7F? My "out of the box" value was 1-7F and I never had the need to change it. I see all service values have a 1-,2- or 3- followed by the 2 digit value. You have to increase a setting quite a bit for it to roll into the next level.

Greg, you are right. After proper calibratuion, everything about this set is great. Other than this minor glitch, I hope it continues as such.

Marc.

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Holy Crow! This is not good news. I went through and wrote all of Michael TLV's post calibration values down. Is this change more of a phenomenon of the values changing? Or does the set change and the values remain the same, hence requiring a new calibration with all new settings?

Also I've had my set for over 4 months and maybe this change has already happened (knock on wood)...

Please keep us informed, guys!