What's new

Strange musical phenomenon -- anyone else experience this? (1 Viewer)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Yesterday I heard a song for the first time, despite it being about 30 years old. The song was Hummingbird by Seals and Crofts. I went out and bought the CD and proceeded to listen to that song continuously over the next several hours. (I know that sounds crazy, and much of the song is kind of silly, but the transition part from 2:00 to 2:50 was so beautiful I couldn't get enough of it.) I ended up falling asleep with the headphones on and the song continually repeating.

When I woke up this morning, I decided to play my new-found song a few more times. But something mysterious happened -- it sounded slightly different than it did the night before. I can't put my finger on the difference. The harmonies or chords sounded a bit off. After a few plays, however, it was back to "normal."

I've noticed this with other songs (not necessarily new ones) that I play over and over at night. They sound a little different in the morning. Is my brain doing some kind of processing on the song at night? Am I actually hearing the song while I'm sleeping?

I know this whole thing sounds strange; I hope someone else has experienced it.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
I have noticed a diffence in the sound before but I attribute it to the warming up of the electronics and such. I can't say I have ever heard a difference after waking up but I will try that. The truth is, I don't think I have ever woken up and decided to start listening right away. Usually a big mug or two of Java is needed first but then if I do start listening I'm already under the influence of caffeine.

Eve T

Supporting Actor
Put down the crack pipe and everything should be okay. JK :)
I myself haven't had that happen yet but just out of curiosity I think I'm going to try that. Peace Out Brian.
Eve ;)

Kevin P

Screenwriter
I have noticed a diffence in the sound before but I attribute it to the warming up of the electronics and such.
I would more likely attribute it to the "warming up" of the wetware (ears + grey matter in between). Perception is different when you first awaken than it is once you've gotten up and had your daily dose of stimulants. :)
KJP

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Gotta try that myself....sounds pretty groovy.
maybe its one of those hidden message songs...
JohnG:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks