Strange Laserdisc Problem

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Matt Stone, Jul 14, 2003.

1. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I've been picking up DTS lasers recently, and have come to notice a problem. For a few of my discs, when I play them I get no audio. This happens with Jurassic Park, The Rock, and Apollo 13 (All DTS releases). I can remedy this problem by putting in another disc...so for example, I put in Blade, start it and stop it, then pop Jurassic Park back in...and bam, sound.

I'm using a Pioneer CLD-D704 with optical running to a Sony E800 which connects to my receiver. I've only had the problem on DTS discs...all of my AC3 and PCM discs work fine.

Any ideas?

2. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

I think this has been seen before. I myself had a weird issue with DTS LD too. It seems that it is usually a receiver problem. Mine was I had an RCA DD/DTS receiver. I would start a DTS laser, and it would play fine, then suddenly, the receiver would "lose" the signal and switch to stereo mode and just play noise. Turning the player off and on would fix the issue. I have two ld players, an Elite CLD 52 and a CLD 79, and the issue occured with both players. I eventually got a Denon receiver, which has a specific DTS mode that locks onto the DTS signal. I use it when playing dts lasers and have not had a signal lose since. So in my case, it was the receiver losing the signal, which can occur because of the way DTS is encoded onto the LD. The issue never occured with DTS DVD as it is encoded on the disc differently from DTS laser. Check to see if your sony has a specific DTS mode.

3. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I never have a problem with switching to stereo mode or anything, because I never get sound from the start. And it doesn't happen with all of my DTS discs...Blade, The Game, Spawn, and Scream 2 all play fine. I don't believe my Sony DA3ES has a DTS mode...but I'll check when I get home from work.

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

This is a known hardware compatibility problem that affects Pioneer LD players and some (but not all) DTS decoders. I experienced it with an Elite CLD-95 and my first version of the Lexicon DC-1 DTS upgrade; a subsequent DTS upgrade removed the problem. I don't know whether anyone ever compiled a definitive list of affected decoders, but it was generally the early ones released at about the same time as DTS DVDs first appeared.

M.