Strange info from EB

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Bardon, Oct 5, 2002.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I was in EB today, and was asking about whether or not they had any used Gamecube systems available, since they had boxes for used Ps2s and Xboxes around the store. The clerd said that she'd never seen one (they didn't even have a used price in the computer), but when I commented that there seemed to be no shortage of used Xboxes and Ps2s, I was told the following:

"Well, the Xbox has a 10% chance of breaking, and the Ps2 has a 15% chance."

Huh? So does this mean that they're selling refurbished systems? Broken ones? I'm also not happy about their breakage "facts". Does this imply that Nintendo systems don't break? I'm also hesitant to believe that there's a 15% breakage rate on Ps2s and Xboxes. Something stinks here...

2. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

just a clueless salesperson.

3. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

I know PS2 when it first came out had a lot of hardware problems. The cd's getting scratched and so on. But that problem was fixed.

capt

4. KevinRB

KevinRB Stunt Coordinator

You should know better then to believe everything that comes out of an EB clerk's mouth...

5. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

Actually today the clerk at a EB store recommended Advance Wars for GBA and im now addicted to it. I heared of the game before and i know people liked it but i never had the urge to pick it up. Now i have and i cant put it down

capt

6. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

7. Chris Bardon

8. Nathan A

Nathan A Second Unit

pretty equal? i dunno...

i have two friends with PS2s and all three of us have had problems with them. but my gamecube's run fine from day one; i can't even remember anyone complaining about a broken gamecube here. i love all my consoles, but it seems to me that sony doesn't put build quality/reliability at a very high priority. remember all the skipping problems with the PS1; it's kind of the same with all sony products, i guess.

9. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

I dunno about defect rates. But if he/she couldn't find a price it was because they didn't do a very through search (it can be a little picky). The store I work at has a pretty steady suppy of used GC's, usually a few PS2's but I've yet to see a used XBox (but I haven't been there all that long).

And yes, they do sell refurbished systems. Ones returned on the warranty will get refurbished and either sold, or used for a warranty exchange.

10. JoeWat

JoeWat Auditioning

You can get a refurb Xbox here in Houston for $160.00. Hell, they sell for $199.00 brand new.

11. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

When I was at Circuit City the other day, a salesclerk was suggesting that someone buy the X-Box because Sony was going to release the PlayStation 3 soon, and all of the old PS1 and PS2 games weren't going to work.

Where he got the idea that the PS3 was happening soon came from, or the idea that it wouldn't be backwards compatable (Sony hasn't said anything about this as far as I know) I have no idea.

Of course, the customer looked fairly cluefull, and wasn't really paying much attention to the salesguy.

12. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

13. Chris Bardon

14. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

15. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

16. BrianB

BrianB Producer

17. Camp

Camp Cinematographer