What's new

Strange Days SE anytime? (1 Viewer)

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Hi. I was just talking about Strange Days in the Movies section.

I remember hearing rumors of a 20th Century Fox 5-Star version of this about a year ago. Actually, I think it was when some were talking about the 5-Star True Lies. [rant]What happened to that?[/rant]

I'm just wondering if any fans of this movie know of any other version of this. I always wanted the DTS Laserdisc of this but I don't own a Laserdisc and movies(dts discs especially)are too expensive.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
If it's any consolation, the existing DVD is top notch (as fas as 4:3 encoded transfers go).

It can also be found new for around $6, so that's not too bad either.

Or if you want to spend more, you could check other regions for better versions.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
I have the regular (THX certified, nonanamorphic) edition. The video quality leaves much to be desired. I haven't sat down and watched it recently but I remember there being quite a bit of EE throughout.

I would like to get some special features as the current edition is quite bland. Just some trailers. There is a commentary track but it only runs for about 5-10 mins after the opening.

A new release with 16:9(no EE), maybe dts, but rather much more special features. A full commentary with the director and/or cast would be awesome.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Strange Days is one of the few non-anamorphic titles I own. Id love to replace it.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Not even close. It was downright pathetic with horrible EE. I'd rather watch the Laserdisc version with DTS which doesn't have great video either and wait it out.

5 Star True Lies was held up because of the terrorist stuff.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
My comments regarding the disc (which I own) are based on my experience with it and reviews from respected DVD sites:

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...trangedays.htm

If you don't feel this is worth $6, that's fine with me.

I own many 4:3 encoded discs and believe this is among the better ones.

If you want to see truly wretched 4:3 discs check out Event Horizon, Rambling Rose, Mountains of the Moon, or The Apostle.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
The current release and Event Horizon have one thing in common.

They both have shitty nonanamorphic pictures but have great Dolby 5.1 tracks.

:) :emoji_thumbsup:

Mark Lucas

Second Unit
The transfer on the Strange Days dvd was reference quality when it used for the laserdisc, back in '96. A new 16x9 transfer with trailers that have the correct audio would be good. DTS? Yes.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Heck, I'd be happy if Fox would do for "Strange Days" and "True Lies" what they did with "X-Files" and "Last of the Mohicans" -- release a bare bones anamorphic remaster with DTS.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Maybe Strange Days and True Lies will lead the pack of HD titles.

FWIW, I thought Strange Days look pretty good on my 57" screen, and my set has been pro-calibrated, so I would think that would show the flaws even more.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
I bet it does.

I was just raggin' on the transfer cause it is showing some age. I will admit that the picture quality is decent. Definitly not unwatchable to me. Maybe someone who is really picky. I was bothered by just the EE throughout. I always find EE annoying.

This disc could use a new transfer.

Andy Patrizio

Stunt Coordinator
I saw it on INHD a while back. While certainly better than the DVD, the transfer could use a little work. Lotta softness in the picture.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter

I feels like I have been waiting two or three years for the both of these! Wasn't the 5-Star edition of True Lies announced before 9/11? Then it got held back. That would be almost five year wait. Yeesh.

Rob Dwyer

Stunt Coordinator
one huge extra the laserdisc has that got left off the DVD was the Skunk Anasae video for Selling Jesus... GREAT video, outstanding song, but not on the dvd :frowning:

Dean L

Stunt Coordinator
I owned and still own the DD LD release, double dipped when the DVD came out. The DVD has a improved picture over the LD (but as mentioned above could be better), the sound however from the DD LD sounded much fuller than the DVD version, and has much more punch in the bass dept. The DVD still sounds good, if you do not have the LD version around to compare.

Dean L

Stunt Coordinator
And sadly the movie was a box office flop. So as far as a newly remastered version, I wouldn't hold my breath, though I would buy it in a heartbeat!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks