What's new

Strange Days dvd-any thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
The sound mix is one of the greatest ever created, so no complaints there. Unfortunately, the disc is a pre-Staddon lifeform, and so is a bit ugly; using what appears to be the laserdisc master its non-anamorphic, and doesn't stand comparison to modern transfers. Its still watchable however, so unless you really want to hold out for some eventual DTS re-release don't feel you need to deny yourself this brilliant film.
Err, sorry Peter. I'm not implying anything about your age, honest!

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
The first five or so minutes, sound-wise, will have you clutching your couch cushions with white knuckles.
MC
------------------
[email protected]
"When your head says one thing and your whole life says another,
your head always loses." (Key Largo)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
It looks and sounds fantasic!
------------------
Visit My Pathetic WebPage
"....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung

Joe D

Supporting Actor
The video is great for non anamorphic. But the sound... Ohh the sound. This is among the top 1% of all soundtracks out there. Surrounds are used throughout the entire movie, not just in key action scenes. The Point of View shouts have extrememly crazy sound to them.
------------------
Joe Dahlen
"Take hold of the flame, you've got nothing to lose, but everything to gain."

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I've heard rumors of a future special edition of this one. . .hopefully Mr. Staddon will notice this thread and either confirm them or put 'em to rest. . .

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
To be fair, the commentary isn't your normal scene-specific job. Its actually a recording of an hour-long lecture Bigelow gave on how the opening sequence was filmed, so its no surprise its a bit odd.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Any thoughts?! I love this film! :) So much, I bought the non-anamorphic DVD (I usually have a strict anamorphic-only policy).
The sound is excellent, and it is one of the better non-anamorphic pictures out there. I've watched it more times than 95% of my DVDs.
I would dearly love to see a 2-disc SE of this, with commentary & interviews with cast and crew - and of course a full commentary from that fantastic director, Kathryn Bigelow. As for the current DVD's "commentary" on the opening scene - wasn't video filmed for this? It would be nice to see that.
Anyone like to mention what extras were released on the various LDs? I hear the DTS LD audio track remains one of the best out there.
The DVD release of Willow will make my 2001. Come on, Fox, make my 2002 with Strange Days SE.
biggrin.gif

ChristopherM

Stunt Coordinator
At least one country looks to be getting an anamorphic transfer.
According to the latest edition of French magazine "Les Années Laser", France will see a THX "2.35:1, 16/9" (which I take to mean anamorphic) transfer released in November.
Sound will be French 4.0 and English 5.1. However, there is no indication whether or not French subtitles will be imposed on the latter, and soundtracks are sometimes remixed in different countries to suit perceived local tastes. There is no mention of DTS in the article, or in the box art.
Extras look the same as the US edition.

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Yes, Phillip, it sure is, wihtout a doubt, one of the best DTS discs EVER PRODUCED, IMHO--LASERDISC OR DVD!!!!!! A very fun movie indeed, much better than reviewed, IMHO, by the critics in the time of its released. And, as for the laserdiscs--I own both the AC-3 AND DTS sets--I also dig the extras included, as well as understanding Kathryn Biegolow's audio commentary, as explained on the gatefold jacket as to why it plays out on analog left channel 1 as it does.
------------------
The Acid Queen Still Rocks and Souls!!!! ;D

TheoGB

Screenwriter
The UK version is anamorphic but it's cut, I'm afraid. Supposedly it has similar extras. I am waiting to see if R4 will be uncut. Of course, if there is an SE in pipeline over in R1 I can always import that instead.
It's a fantastic if very grim movie, IMO. Also cool that Skunk Anansie are in the finale - that was a shocker. :)
------------------
My band is @ http://www.mokita.net
My Novelty Coasters

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Yeah, Skunk Anansie rock.
cool.gif

But "very grim"? Nah! Strange Days is IMHO a comedy/action/noir/rock movie, with a bit of high-strung melodrama thrown in. The ending was extremely optimistic -Spoiler:Just two rogue cops and one psychopath, and the race war is won, and the only thing I find grim is having no news of an SE to do this great movie justice. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks