1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Strange anomoly with Pioneer 39TX while setting channel levels.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ron_N, Nov 14, 2001.

1. Ron_N

Ron_N Extra

Every now and then I recheck my levels to make sure there evertyhing is balanced to 75db. Well today I checked them and to my surprise the surround levels according to my spl meter were 4 to 5 db too low. After some trial and error I discovered that it was the THX setting that was causing the level increase. You see when I initially set up the channel levels for my receiver, it was in THX Cinema mode and everthing was balanced at 75db with the volume knob set at 0db. But when I rechecked the levels today my receiver was in THX Surr Ex mode. I noticed that when the volume knob was at 0db, the sound from the surrounds was much softer and the surround levels were reading around 71db. Does anybody know why this is? I thought that it didn't matter what mode you were in, but apparently it does. So do I need to turn off THX processing altogether and do my setup in Standard mode?
    [Edited last by Ron_N on November 14, 2001 at 04:11 PM]

2. Evelio Figueroa

Evelio Figueroa Second Unit

3. Jonathan_M

Jonathan_M Stunt Coordinator

Are you using the built in test tones to do your calibration? The reason I ask is that you've specified your volume control position (which is fine) but the knob is positioned automatically for you when using the built in tones.
    -Jonathan
    ------------------
    "We're hosed. We lost the remote."

4. Ron_N

Ron_N Extra

I'm sorry, I had it backwards. First of all the problem was with the surround levels, and their levels were too low, not too high. I just edited my original post. Please read again.
    And yes, I am using the built in test tones and the volume knob did rotate automatically to 0db.
    Thanks for your input!

5. John H

John H Second Unit

6. Ron_N

Ron_N Extra

I repeated the experiment again, this time I started off in the Standard 7.1 Mode with the Loudness turned off and the Tone Controls bypassed. And again the same thing happenned. After I set the levels in the Standard 7.1 Mode, I repeated the setup in Standard 5.1 Mode and again the surround levels were too high and I had to lower them a few decibels. Apparently the 0db volume setting output is much higher in 5.1 mode than when setting the levels in 7.1 mode. Can anybody explain this? Has anybody else with THX receivers experience this problem?
    I must say though, that since I've set the levels in 7.1 mode the surrounds seem to be more alive than they were before!
    Does anybody out there know of any particular scenes from a movie a person could use to judge to see if your surround are too loud?

7. Ron_N

Ron_N Extra

I repeated the experiment again, this time I started off in the Standard 7.1 Mode with the Loudness turned off and the Tone Controls bypassed. And again the same thing happenned. After I set the levels in the Standard 7.1 Mode, I repeated the setup in Standard 5.1 Mode and again the surround levels were too high and I had to lower them a few decibels. Apparently the 0db volume setting output is much higher in 5.1 mode than when setting the levels in 7.1 mode. Can anybody explain this? Has anybody else with THX receivers experience this problem?
    I must say though, that since I've set the levels in 7.1 mode the surrounds seem to be more alive than they were before!
    Does anybody out there know of any particular scenes from a movie a person could use to judge to see if your surrounds are too loud?